PLease check out Art Director LAUREN PANEPINTO’s blog post on MuddyColors.com, Artist Selfies, everybodys doing it.

“ Starting to shoot reference very often brings a huge leap forward in the work of young artists, yet it’s also the piece of advice I hear the most excuses about. I hear “My friends don’t like to pose.” “I’m not a good photographer.” “I don’t have money to hire a model.” “I don’t have good props.” “I don’t have a good camera.” and I say the best artists in the world use themselves for reference all the time. With rulers standing in for swords, with any kind of camera or webcam, and without even cleaning their studios, if these guys are shooting themselves, you can too. You, yourself, are the most reliable model. You know what you want, you are always available, and you work cheap.”

This short excerpt from Lauren Panepinto’s blog post demonstrates the importance of working from reference. After reading this article, shoot / digitally collage your own original reference material.

Do not overthink this.

This is PRACTICE to learn how to shoot and work from reference.

Shoot 4 Photos. Then Fill 4 pages in your sketchbook with drawings based on these photos / digital collages.

SHARE BOTH THE REFERENCE AND THE SKETCHES WHEN DONE.

Post when complete:

GO TO: CLASS SITE

DASHBOARD > POSTS > ADD NEW >

Write your post. Add a Descriptive title.

Choose CATEGORY (bottom right side): Sketchbook

PUBLISH

Please add your introduction by [DATE AND TIME]. It should be between [250-300 words].

Before next class, read the comments and get to know your classmates! 

For extra credit, reply to one of your classmates’ comments. Do you have something in common? Did you learn something? Be kind.