Original story: The Little Match Girl
1. Europe little town/ Black Death Period / puppet , curse setting
The setting of the “The Little Match Girl” is going to be evil side. Instead of human, people in this story are puppets. The little girl is a looping curse that happens every three years, and the curse will look like one of the kids who died from the previous curse. Every time the curse lights a fire, 2-3 kids will die until “she” finishes all boxes of her matches. Meanwhile she lights up a fire, she saw herself in the light; who is the goodness and mercy of her and tries to stop her. When her matches are done, the curse for this year is done too. Then “she” will disappear, and three years later, the curse will be back and looks as a “kid” who dies this year.
2. Western City / Modern day/ Haunted game theme
This setting will be haunted game theme. The little match girl is the one of the people alive in the town. She has to find out who is the other one; however, she has to light up a fire through her limited matches to get hits to find the other survivor. However, the ghosts are very sensitive for lights, so she will be chasing every time she lights up.
After discussion with Prof, I think I will go for the first one.
As Promised … Today’s Lecture.
Power Point: model-sheets
Model Sheet Sample:
You may use this OR search for another/ design another better suited to your needs.
FINAL Project : Narrative Illustration
DUE: DEC 19 | Week 15
Final Project due with Peer Critique
- 1 FULL COLOR ILLUSTRATION
- Book Pitch
- Character Designs & Concept Art
- Process Book
Part 1: Using the characters and concept created for Project 3, create concept sketches for 2 narrative illustrations featuring the same character(s) in a different setting and situation.
Part 2: Incorporating feedback from your instructor and peers, finalize one of the 2 sketches into a final illustration. Create values studies and color studies as part of process work.
Final Art can be made using any combination of traditional drawing / inking skills and digital coloring. Final art must make full use of value and read as a finalized piece of art work. Final art may be in Color or in Black and white. If in color a limited palate is highly recommended.
50 % project grade Submit a PDF PROCESS BOOK guiding us through the project from inception to conclusion.
- Carefully SCAN your process work. This should include : Your Source Material, Brainstorm, Thumbnails, Concept Sketches, Value Roughs, Related Sketchbook Work, and Final Art.
- Carefully Label all of your work so that your thought process is CLEAR. Be sure all of it is presented well: facing the right way, no shadows in the picture, good contrast, etc.
50 % project grade Submit a publication ready 300 DPI JPEG of Final ART
SUMBIT YOUR WORK
Project 4: Character Design & Concept Art
In this multilayered project you will reinterpret a classic folk tale or fairy tale through your own creative lens.
For this part of the project you will develop characters for your original concept.
These characters and concept sketches may, but are not required to be in color.
Art can be made using any combination of traditional drawing / inking skills and digital coloring.
This project leads into our FINAL PROJECT.
Project 4 GRADING BREAKDOWN
75 % project grade Character Design Model Sheets, and the 6 Basic Expressions or more for at least 2 characters.
25 % project grade Written Post. (PROOF READ YOUR POST. SPELLING AND GRAMMAR COUNT.)
DUE DEC 16th
SUBMIT AS A POST ON OPENLAB.
INCLUDE: TITLE OF STORY, GENRE, SETTING INFORMATION and BRIEF CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS IN YOUR POST.
In this multilayered assignment you will reinterpret a classic folk tale or fairy tale through your own creative lens. You will, through the course of the assignment develop characters, setting, and finalize 2 illustrations featuring the same character in two very different settings and situations.
- You may choose a vertical or horizontal format.
- Final art will be 11 x 14 – inch, full-color illustration
- You should interpret the story through your own personal artistic lens informed by thorough research and reference.
- Final art will be delivered digitally.
- All drawing will be done traditionally, and will be rendered in a medium and process to be agreed upon with instructor.
Nov 28 | Week 12
DUE: Project 3 FINAL Art.
DUE: Narrative Illustration Proposal
NEW: Project 4- Narrative Illustration Character Design Rough Sketches
Dec 5 | Week 13
Work in CLASS on Narrative Illustration Character Design & Concept Art Rough Sketches
NEW: Project 4 – Narrative Illustration Character Design & Concept Art Rough Sketches
NEW : Thumbnails for Final Project Narrative Illustration (Get approval early on openlab for MORE WORKING TIME!!!)
Dec 12 | Week 14
DUE: Project 4 – Narrative Illustration Character Design & Concept Art Rough Sketches
DUE: Thumbnails for Final Project Narrative Illustration.
NEW: Concept Sketches for Final Project.
Dec19 | Week 15
Final Project due. Peer Critique
I hope you are feeling well and better. I have several proposals I came up with. 2 different concepts and 1 Bonus. I really really like the Alice in Hell one, so I really have my heart set on that. Here are the narratives, and have a good night and feel better too
- Story: Little Red Riding Hood.
- Genre: Horror/ Teen Drama/ Fantasy
- Setting: In NYC with a twist of future technology mixed with a fantasy such as gadgets, high-tech weaponry, and magic.
- The story will be about Red Riding hood herself, who is half human and half demon, her name is “Scarlette” And by day she’s a regular student in high school and by night she’s a heroic vigilante that takes down monsters, demons, and other villains terrorizing the NYC Night. Using her high tech demonic scythe and super speed, she takes down the evil that’s in her path.
- Story: Alice in Wonderland
- Setting: In the current time of London England today with a twist of steampunk, and zombies.
- Genre: Horror/ Mystery/ Fantasy
- The story will revolve around a teenage version of Alice. Her parents sent her to a boarding school in London England because she’s a rebel and is rocking her half goth/ steampunk look. All of a sudden, her school is corrupted by zombies and demons rising from the depth of Hell. While trying to escape Alice falls into a Hell Hole, and was granted demon powers by a demon mad hatter and her goal is to kill all the zombies and ghouls in her way and must find the evil Zombie queen and chop off her head in order to be freed from hell and for London to return back to the way it was or else London and world will die.
Bonus Round: Story: Mulan
- Setting: NYC. Near or in the future for War with Korea
- Genre: Horror/ Fantasy
- The story will revolve around Mulan, she and her family Immigrated from China when she was just a baby. During her time in America she hears and see’s the evil terror of Kim Jon Un, because of this it sparks her to fight against evil, She becomes a police officer and a secret spy, later in America needed people to who signed up to join the ARMY, Mulan was going to sign up but her family was highly against it, and they told her if she returns she will be dishonored. She fought against North Korea and won, but when she came home her family dishonored her, then later on she was kidnapped by North Korean soldiers and was tortured and left to die, Mulan was about to die and swore her vengeance upon North Korea and anyone evil in her way, She was granted demon powers by a demon dragon spirit named MUU-SHUU. With her demonic powers, she fights against the evil that stands in her way.
Hi Profesor, hope you are feeling better. I chose the Muffin Man, it is technically a nursery rhyme. I remembered some of the examples being nurses rhymes. Let me know if I need to pick something else.
Genre: Mystery/ Thriller
Would involve the different food ingredients wanting to track down their missing family members who the muffin man had abducted. The setting would be a present-day kitchen and surrounding areas.
Genre: Mafia/ Comic Noir
Set in a present-day New York type of city. Would involve the Muffin Man who had taken out fellow mafia members: The Butcher, The Baker and The Candlestick Maker who had all just been found dead in a tub.