Wine Blending Project Group #5

Last week in class we were asked to participate in a blending project.  We were taught to first taste the base wine and then taste the other wines #1 through #4.  Our group decide that we like wine 2 and 4.  So we started off with the base with pouring in 75% of Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 2010. Then we added 20% of Petite Syrah, Lodi 2010; finally we added 5% of Merlot Mendocino 2010.  We chose this blend because we wanted something fruity.  Sight: Clear with no sediments, garnet red, medium viscosity. Smell: cherries, smokey, pepper, bright on the nose, floral, jammy, spices. Taste: dry, well balanced, soft on the palate.

Experience: The experience was excellent, we enjoyed creating our wine because we felt it represents a little bit of everyone in our group.  We enjoyed the overall experience and it went above our expectations.  We learn what it takes to make wine and even though we blended what we wanted in our first try we realized that we got lucky that not all the times wine makers get there blends on the first try.

Group Members: Paula Oliveira, Won Joo Cho, Imani Wood, Genesis Rodriguez

2 Responses to Wine Blending Project Group #5

1. This whole wine blending experience went beyond my expectations. our group went over the wine descriptions and we took notes about the wines #1 thru #4 and the base wine so we could come up with the perfect blend according our taste.
    I really enjoyed our final blend. It was dry, soft on the paladar, a wine to enjoy with some food or by itself. And we really enjoyed to serve the wine to the president of the college and his guests; and also to the faculty.
    I can’t wait until next week to see how the whole wine making process works.

2. It was indeed a great experince and went over my expectations. I love your description of what you wanted the wine to taste like.