Wines from the Southern Hemispere

Country: South Africa    Vintage: 2010

Producer: Savanha

Grape Variety: Chenin Blanc

The color of this wine was light and transparent. It was thin, light yellow and haylike. The smell was apples, peaches and pineapple. I couldn’t get any type of notes for this wine but maybe apples as an after taste. This can be paired with shrimp.

Country: New Zealand        Vintage: 2010

Region: Marlborough

Grape Variety: Sauvignon Blanc

The color of this wine was pale yellow with hints of green. I really liked the smell of this wine. It was pineapple and grapefruit. I thought it would be pretty fruity but instead it tasted sour with high acidity but I did taste the grapefruit and pineapple. This can be paired with steam tilapia with spicy vegetable sauce. Didn’t really like it.

Name: Tohu     Vintage: 2008

Region: Marlborough

Grape Variety: Pinot Noir

The color of this wine was cherry red and pretty translucent. It smelled like vanilla, almonds and black pepper. This had high acidity, oak and pomegranate. This wine wasn’t bad.

Country: Australia

Region: South Australia     Vintage: 2010

Name: Unwooded Yalumba

Grape Variety: Chardonnay

The color of this wine was pale yellow with hints of green. The smell was lemon lime with green apples. The taste was really tart and green apples. It can be paired with grilled chicken. It was okay.

Region: Barossa Valley    Vintage

Name: Earth Works

Grape Variety: Shiraz

Finally all these weeks of tasting wine and I finally find something that I really really like. How exciting. I would definitely buy this wine. The color was purple red and opaque. The smell was dry prunes, raisins, tobacco, anise, cinnamon, it was intense and full bodied. The taste was more like cherries, anise, black peppers and cinnamon. So good. This can be paired with steak, stew, pasta with spicy red sauce. Australian shiraz is good.

This entry was posted in Tasting Notes Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Wines from the Southern Hemispere

1. If you like shiraz try viongier. Though viognier is a white when is has spicyness is full bodied and aromatic, a great starter to a meal that will be paired with shiraz.