California Wine

We have finally reached the mecca of American wines, California.

Name: Julian of the Seasons

Region: Sanoma County   Vintage: 2009

Grape variety: Sauvignon Blanc

The color of this wine was yellow-hay with hints of green and pale. The smell of this wine was mouthwatering. It had green apples, unripe peaches, grapefruit, rosemary and thyme. The taste, though was pretty tart but I was able to get grapefruit on the palette. This can be paired with roasted potatoes, lemon chicken.

Producer: Kenwood     Vintage: 2010

Grape Variety: Chardonnay

This wine was also pale and yellow-hay. To the nose, there was some apricots, pears, hay and oak. From tasting it, I noticed there was some vanilla from the oak, pears and pretty acidic.

Name: Mac Murray

Region: Sanoma Coast

Grape Variety: Pinot Noir

The color of this wine was brick red, black cherry and intense. The smell was much like black cherries, oak and dried prunes. The taste was also black cherries and vanilla from the oak. This can be paired with pasta with cream sauce and a lot of garlic. The wine sounds good with the meal.

Producer: Carina Cellar    Vintage: 2007

Region: Central Coast AVA

Name: Sibylline

Grape Variety: Rhone Varietals: 55% Marvedre, 33% Grenache, 12% Syrah

The color of this wine was brick red, black cherry and intense. The smell was musky, herb-like and peppery. The taste was more like cranberries, black pepper, star anise. It can be paired with steak with steam broccoli.

Region: Lodi    Vintage: 2009

Name: Klinker Brick Winery   Zinfandel Oldvine

This wine was the color of magenta or purple red. It smelled like raisins, blackberries and oak. From the second taste, I got grape jam, vanilla, plums, ripe blackberries and blueberries. This wine was not bad.

Region: Napa Valley

Name: Slingshot    Vintage: 2010

Grape Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon

The color of this wine was purple red. The only smell I got for this wine was green peppers. When tasting it, I got blackberries, unripe cherries and very dry. almost cotton like. This can be paired with venison.

So far, I haven’t found a wine that made me feel like the shiraz from Australia. But fortunately, California make a lot of wine and I am sure I will find one that I will like.

This entry was posted in Tasting Notes Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to California Wine

1. Australian Shiraz is a wonderul wine but will not pair well with all foods. Enjoy it when you can!

I like your description of the Kenwood. For me this is a white that is versatile and elegant.