Warm Introduction

As an introduction to my internship blog, I want to explain the background of my workplace and the person I work closely with on design projects. I work at Flushing Town Hall, in Flushing, Queens. The building is over 100 years old, and is a dedicated landmark for the City of New York. In the neighborhood, the location is more popularly known as a great arts venue. I myself have never heard of the location up until my Service Corps supervisor at Queens College introduced the proposition of working there and the effect it would have on my design due to the exposure of different cultures. Flushing is mostly comprised of Asian Americans, majority it’s combination of both Chinese and Korean people.

Although I actually live in Queens, the commute to work can be heavy at times ranging from almost an hour in the morning and the double that time in the evening if I’m traveling by bus. I try to skip mass transit on warmer days by commuting on bicycle, which will convert my total travel time for the day to about an hour.

When I arrive to the office, I check up with my advisor immediately after setting up to greet him and figure out the agenda for the day. My advisor/mentor name is Shawn Choi, Director of Marketing and Community Engagement. He often has a strong sense of what needs to be tackled next for the regarding our brochure, and won’t be afraid to challenge me for the next design. I am glad to be working under his wing, as he allows me to design within my own means as long as it follows the guidelines that he presents to me. As a closure to my first post, here is a  direct link to the home page of Flushing Town Hall. Additionally, I will provide a link to CUNY Service Corps so you can share this student program with any other peers who may be interested.

20151023_142812

My advisor and I at my work-site.

One thought on “Warm Introduction