Prof. Westengard | O628 | Fall 2022

Savara Khan

Summary

The Batman adaptation that I chose to watch is Batman begins. As a child, a young Bruce Wayne witnesses the death of his parents when a robbery took place and it all went sideways. As an adult, Bruce travels the world seeking the means to learn how to fight injustice and protect his city. For a while, he lived amongst criminals and thieves in central Asia, which lead to him learning how to fight. Eventually, he meets a mysterious man named Ra's Al Guhl and joins his gang called the League of Shadows. Using Ra's Al Guhl training, Bruce was able to defeat him. Finally meeting up with his caretaker Alfred Pennyworth, Bruce Wayne returns home to Gotham. There, he becomes the new head of Wayne Enterprises and with the help of Lucius Fox, Bruce becomes Batman. To keep up a front Bruce poses as a playboy in public so that nobody will mistake him for Batman at night. When Ra's Al Ghul eventually visits Gotham, Bruce finds out that Ducard is Al Ghul and that he had been leading him astray the entire time he had been training him. Ā Dr. Jonathan Crane, aka Scarecrow, and the director of Arkham Asylum, is helpingĀ the League of Shadows to try to contaminateĀ Ā Gotham's water supply. Batman was able to stop the attack and defeat Ra's Al Ghul.

Batman: Ego and Other Tails and Batman Begins can both be seen as having Gothic elements. Both on-screen and in the book it was dark, mysterious, and scary. you can see both the batmans have a dark sense of humor and are never seen being happy or joyful. When comparing the two you can see how in Batman: Ego and Other Tails, Batman was unable to save the guy from shooting him selfs. but in batman begins he was able to save Gotham's water supply and defeat the bad guy Ra's Al Ghul. In my opinion Batman: Ego and Other Tails was much more gothic than the other batman begins and had much more gothic elements. Batman reminds me a little of the guy from The Vampyre: A Tale. Batman and Lord Ruthven are both dark and mysterious and like to work at night.

In my opinion, I don't think that most superheroes are Gothic. There are some like Batman, Venom, and Hulk that are 'gothic' superheroes but the majority of superheroes are not gothic. What all of these superheroes have in common is that they all have dark personalities and all of them are mysterious and closed off in their own ways. They all want to help people but on their own terms. As an example, this is one of Venom's lines in the movie ā€œYou come in here againā€¦ In fact, you go anywhere in this city, preying on innocent people, and we will find you and we will eat both of your arms and then both of your legs. And then we will eat your face right off your head."

Blog 9

1. Shaneka

I agree with you that most superheroes are not blatantly gothic, but almost all superheroes have some gothic element, too, like violence. Even though the context is that they are saving the world, they are still enacting violence, not just villains but civilians too.

• Rebecca Joseph

Hi Savara and Shaneka. I agree with you on this! I think this is why I find Batman to be the most Gothic superhero. His violence is very sloppy in a sense that he doesn’t have take it on on the people that deserves it the most and kinda starts beating up random civilians for the smallest things. Other superheroes do engage in violence, but in a less brutal way.

2. amandahasandjekaj

Hi Savara! I like the comparison you made between the Batman: Ego and Lord Ruthven from The Vamyre. In my blog, I said that the Batman pages didn’t remind me of anything we read during the semester. I told myself how the story in the Batman pages and any other stories we have read are not the same, but I can see how the characters are definitely alike in the way that they are mysterious and take action during the night. I also said how superheroes and villains have this in common!