Prof. Westengard | O628 | Fall 2022

Blog 8

In the late 1920 and early 1930 the great depression kicked in, this was the same time the movie Dracula (‘31) was made. The great depression was caused by many things, some causes were the bank failure, the stock market crash of 1929, and bad government policies like the Smoot-Hawley Act for example. many people suffered during the great depression, it was a dark time in America. many people were unemployed, couldn’t put food on the table, and overall the economy was down. Dracula (‘31) became popular during this time, it will be remembered as a classic and have the most popular version of Dracula to date. I found the movie to be enjoyable and the plot of Dracula (‘31) to be good, the person who plays Dracula did a good job bringing the character to life and I see why it’s the most popular version of Dracula to date. see why people will enjoy making the days but their other reason why people enjoy this movie. there are many reasons why Count Dracula appealed to people living sometimes at the time it was released. People didn’t have much going and having to escape reality is good to work the stress, especially in those times, and what better way to escape reality than watching a movie. This is why I think it became people enjoy Dracula, it was an escape from the sad reality for people around those times. this is why Count Dracula appealed to people living at the time it was released.

1. Erika Gissel Naranjo

Hi Steve,

I enjoyed reading your insight on this and couldn’t agree more. I believe people enjoyed Dracula of the 1930s because it was indeed an escape from their current reality.

I sometimes watch movies myself that remind me of a happier time in my life.

2. Shaunte

I love that you mentioned that it was a way to distract people cause I also said the same about the films that came out during the Great Depression. I am glad we both were able to see that. But I do wish you got into depth about more of the historical purpose behind the film.

3. Rebecca Joseph

Hi Steve. I completely agree with you take on why Dracula was so popular. I think that sometimes escapism is good, especially when there are situations beyond your control. I think a lot of people living during this time needed that.