Prof. Westengard | O628 | Fall 2022

blog #8

While watching Dracula from 1931 I saw how different it was living during that time and how they were transported in wagons. It’s not as modern as it is right now in the 21st century. The horror film was made in black and white setting a gloomy mood. During the late 1920s-1930s in the United States they were facing a big problem which was the great depression when the United States had the worst economy in history when the stock market crashed. During that time around 15 million Americans were unemployed and half of the banks have failed. Many Americans didn’t have jobs or any savings and many lost their homes. Leading to many citizens homeless and hungry. Many of them had families and had to provide for them. I think the movie Dracula describes how people during that time were feeling depressed, sad, overwhelmed, terrified, and hopeless. Sadly the movie doesn’t cheer the audience who are watching the movie.

1. Helen Lopez

Balia, I agree with you people during 1930 were facing a hard and difficult time due to the Great Depression many people were sad and scared due to the lack of unemployment and in Dracula we also view how people are scared as terrified which makes a connection of what was going on durning the 1930 in the U.S