Prof. Westengard | O628 | Fall 2022

blog 6

After watching Coraline, I found it to be a decent movie with some Gothic elements and characteristics. Some Gothic characteristics I noticed in the movie Coraline were gloom, mystery, horror, disturbing, and Terror. One similarity Coraline  and “The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether?” is both main character like to explorer place even if people told them not to go there because it is dangerous.one different Coraline  and “The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether?”  is where they take place, Coraline take place in an old home while  “The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether?” take place in a asylum. Another different Coraline  and “The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether?”  is their target audience, Coraline target audience are a younger demographic while “The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether?” target audience are a older demographic. One thing the film remind me of other texts we read this semester is in Coraline and the books is the main character in each were being naive someone trying to get close to them just to hurt them. Another film that reminds me of other texts we read this semester is Coraline and the books both have a gloomy and disturbing atmosphere. Another thing the film remind me of other texts we read this semester is in Coraline and the books they a super nature being trying to kill the main character to devour them. One implicit message it sends through its metaphoric characteristics is to care for what you desire because, like Coraline, it could lead to disaster.

1. Shaunte

I love the part where you said they both visited a place that was rumored to be dangerous. It added that element where they could have avoided everything that happened but did not.

2. amandahasandjekaj

Hello. Great blog! I agree with the similarity of the characters exploring places they shouldn’t. It shows the implicit message that unfamiliar routes can lead you to dangerous things, which is what I said in my blog.

3. Balia Michelle Melendez

Hey steven! 

I liked how you talked about both Coraline and “ the System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. fether” target two different types of audiences. How Coraline targets the younger audience unlike “ the System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. fether”  target the older demographic.