Prof. Westengard | O628 | Fall 2022

Blog 6

Summary

Some of the gothic characteristics that were presented in “Coraline” are the alternate dark universe and ghosts. The parallel universe is filled with doppelgangers of people she knows. Everyone in this other world has button eyes sewn into their faces and the other mother which is an exact copy of her mom, Mrs.Jones, tries to get Coraline to also have these eyes which shows how this evil woman wants her to give up her virtueness. The other mother kidnaps her parents and she ends up saving her parents and the souls’ of the ghost children. The similarities of “Coraline” and “The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether” would be the mood and the tone. The tone in both stories is creepy and strange. The mood in both is paranoid and frightening. Also in, “The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether”, one of the systems is the “system of Tarr and Fether” which is where patients just wander aeoiund and are free to do whatever they want. This reminded me of “Coraline” because in the parallel universe, the evil doppelgangers do whatever they please with no care. The difference in “Caroline” and “The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether” would be that the resolutions are different. In “The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether”, when the real doctors escaped the underground, they regained control. However, it took Coraline a few times to “escape” her real world and enter the parallel universe to resolve her issues and save her parents and the souls’ of the gost children. Much of the film reminds me of other texts we have read because there is the similar characteristic of the supernatural . For example, ghosts in Coraline and the vampires in the other texts. The implicit message “Coraline” is sending through its metaphoric characteristics would be to not go through unfamiliar routes because they may lead you to dangerous things. The implicit message “The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether” is sending through its metaphoric characteristics would be to not trust everyone you meet right away.

1. Cindy R

Great analysis on the reference of Coraline having a doppelganger for her family also the mini doll she had that was a spy into her life for the dark world parent. At first I question why the dark universe mom wanted Coraline eyes to be button if Coraline seems to already approve of her but I was able to establish the reason after I finish watching the film.

2. steven lantigua

Nice job writing your blog! I Like how you compare the mood and tone with “Caroline” and “the system of dr. Tarr and prof. Father”. I also like the characteristics you pick.

3. amandahasandjekaj

I would like to add that the disappearance of Caroline’s parents shows another important gothic characteristic which is mysterious happenings and suspense. The other mother kidnapping her parents and Caroline fighting for them also shows one of the themes which is good vs. evil. I want to also add to the implicit messages both of the stories send through their metaphoric characteristics. I chose the implicit message in Coraline to be to not go through unfamiliar routes because they may lead you to dangerous things because the story really left that impression on me. Coraline was often bored and would turn to her imagination to entertain herself. This can lead you to do things you wouldn’t normally do. The story continuously expressed how these routes you may take in your life will lead to difficulties that will force you to be brave. Coraline is constantly faced with challenges but has to face her fears and be courageous. Therefore, there are always consequences to your actions but you need to be wise. I chose the implicit message in “The System of Dr.Tarr and Prof. Fether” to be to not trust everyone you meet right away because it can also lead to dangerous things. The narrator is greeted by the director who invited him to dinner. Without knowing him, he accepts the offer and eventually discovers the director is crazy during the dinner, and so are the patients. This shows to always have your guard up and not trust random people, which I was constantly reminded while reading this story.