Prof. Westengard | O628 | Fall 2022

Blog 5 Amanda Hasandjekaj

Summary

There are many repeated patterns that I have noticed in the Gothic texts we have read this semester. For example, as you said, young women are taken advantage of by a powerful figure such as Isabella in “The Castle of Otranto” and Laura in “Carmilla”. However, I also think we can see this observation in “The Vampyre”. Lord Ruthven chooses girls who are “clean” and on the right track in their life. He then brings them down, degrades them, and kills them. The narrator explains how women who do not meet the standard of being innocent and pure, are "female hunters of notoriety." This shows how women are being taken advantage of. The texts we have read are all from the gothic era of literature. The genre shows a form of terror that is pleasurable. The settings of each of texts are all alike. The setting of “Castle of Otranto” is a gloomy gothic castle in Italy. The majority ofit takes place at night and the atmosphere is filled with fear, doubt, and dilemma. The setting of “The Vampyre” is gloomy and dark. It is taken place in the UK, Italy, and Greece. It is filled with terror and suspense. The setting of “Carmilla” is a dark castle in Austria. It has a mysterious atmosphere and superstitious elements. They are all taken place in Europe as well. I have noticed that all these texts are based on terror, suspense or horror. They all blend elements of realistic fiction with the supernatural.

1. Dolma Tsering

Hi Amanda, I completely agree with the repeated patterns that you have written about in your blog about the setting of these texts and how women are taken advantage of.

2. Laura Westengard

Fantastic and accurate observations! You have traced many Gothic characteristics across the European literature that we have read so far. It will be interesting to see if we continue to see these patterns in the U.S. Gothic texts that we read next.

3. adelisaredzematovic

Hi Amanda, I definitely agree with your observations. And mentioning “vampyre” showed me a new perspective of that text, as to how Ruthven treats the females in that text. This is another thing that is recurring with the texts we have read.