Prof. Westengard | O628 | Fall 2022

Savara Khan

Blog 5

After reading several Gothic texts this semester, I have seen some patterns and observations which have similarities throughout all the gothic literature we read so far. The setting is one of the main similarities all these texts have. They all take place before the 2000s and use old dialects in their literature. In The Castle of Otranto, The Cask of Amontillado, and Carmilla has a castle as their setting. The main characters come with wealth and power. In The Castle of Otranto and The Cask of Amontillado, both  Mandred and Montresor took revenge to an extreme level. They both let anger control them and the way they acted. In The Castle of Otranto Mandred got out of control when he ends up killing his daughter instead of Isabella for rejecting him for marriage. Because of his anger, he lost his kingdom and his kid. In The Cask of Amontillado Montresor took revenge to an entirely different level. He chained Fortunato, then built a wall around him and left him to die. Another similar pattern I have seen is between the gothic text The Castle of Otranto and Carmilla. The women in The Castle of Otranto, Hippolita, Isabella, and Matilda are all shown as women with wealth but no power. They are seen as women that have no control over anything and whatever they are told they must do. Similarly in Carmilla Laura is wanted for her blood and is getting used by Carmilla. There are many more patterns and observations which are throughout all the gothic literature we have read these are just some of the ones I have seen.

1. Justice Monge

Hello Savara, I really liked your comparison with Manfred and Montresor taking their revenge to the extreme as their anger got the better of them and out of their control. I knew about the killings but never really thought about when comparing it like that. That really was a great find!

2. Laura Westengard

You have done a wonderful job of tracing the patterns in the text we read so far this semester!