Prof. Westengard | O628 | Fall 2022

Elliot Currence

Who else loves dinosaurs??

Hello, everyone! My name is Elliot and my pronouns are she/they. My academic goals include studying Art History and Sociology, and within that, I find the history of all kinds of different disciplines of art to be fascinating, as well as how that history has and continues to have an impact on different societies and their cultures, moral beliefs, and societal infrastructure. Aside from that, I love the arts as a pastime, too. I have a passion for dance and music, things I have been doing since I was young. Literature is also a passion of mine, I write short stories and poetry and dabble in songwriting, it’s also a reason why I chose this class! As for what “Gothic” means, I am familiar with it in the context of art history – where it’s a style of architecture in Europe popular in the 12th-16th centuries – and fashion style and culture. However, I have always enjoyed genres of horror, thriller, etc. so I assume that must be a part of it. Things such as gloomy, eerie, and ominous atmospheres, and the saying, “the strange and the unusual” come to mind as well. The stories like Frankenstein, Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are a few I imagine fit the bill to be considered gothic literature.  I just never thought to refer to these groups of elements in fiction as “Gothic”, which is also interesting.  

I am very excited to be here to gain more insight into this genre, read some great stories, and have great discussions. I hope we can have an interesting and spooky semester together! It’s nice to meet you all! 🙂 

Print this page

1. Cory McCarthy

Hi Elliot!
    I love music and dance too, K-pop dances are quite literally my workout and they are intense as heck haha. If you get the chance to respond I am curious, where is the location for the picture you took? It looks like a really cute vintage store and I love taking a gander at places like that; you can find all sorts of random treasures.
    Hoping this class helps inspire your future writings, whether it be songs or short stories :] best of luck to you!

• Elliot Currence

Hey, Cory! I also use k-pop choreography for exercise! Some of them are definitely full-body workouts. And this place is called Olde Good Things Antique Store and the address is 2420 Broadway, NYC. It’s honestly one of the coolest antique shops with a bunch of interesting stuff everywhere. You should definitely stop by!

Thanks so much!

2. Laura Westengard

Hi Elliot, so nice to meet you! I’m thrilled to hear that you already have some background knowledge of the Gothic in arts, style, and culture. I look forward to hearing more about your art history perspective and possibly reading some of your creative writing!