Vampires in 20th and 21st C Literature, Film, and Television

Veronica L. Powell Blog Post 10

Thesis Statement:

21st Century Gothic narratives exemplify vampires as Post-Liberationist figures perpetually bound to a liminal existence thereby causing them to in some cases exhibit overly humanistic traits as an attempt to assimilate to current societal norms and depart from folklore stigmata.

Twilight (novel & film):

1. Edward’s idealization of human morality, deeming himself as monstrous, self loathing, desire to pin himself as dangerous, or a villain because he is not human, and believes because he is not, he marginalizes himself while acknowledging differences between him and humans.

2. Edward’s overcompensation for lack of human forms of emotion. Excessive need to protect Bella from all danger that might come to her. His constant introspection, mysterious nature, suppression of desire for human blood, ability to deviate from the desire to consume human blood, constant battle within to not be viewed as an absolute monster even though he might feel within he is monstrous. The internal dialogue is reflective of a liberationist vampire, but though perpetually stuck in the mind of a teenager, possibly post-liberationist because the idea of freedom is dispelled, and the idea of boundary is magnified.

True Blood:

1. Assimilation into Post-Civil Rights Southern society; referred to as a race, and represented as such throughout American Government.

2. The consumption of synthetic blood instead of human blood, suppression of cravings for human consumption in order to be accepted as not appearing monstrous. Similar to dispelling view of human consumption of human (deviation from what might be considered taboo “carnivorous”).

8 Responses

1. Well Veronica, this is definitely arguable. You’ve done a great job at creating an arguable claim as well as – in some way continuing where Day left off. I look forward to you posting your essay on open lab as a post as well!

May 7, 2014 at 12:07 am

2. Wow, absolutely amazing. I love this topic. Although I still wish you were writing on the female protagonist, I think you will do absolutely amazing. I am looking forward to your essay.

May 7, 2014 at 11:24 pm

3. This is certainly an interesting claim, Veronica. Your argument about the vampire move toward integration into human society sounds fascinating. After reading your evidence, I’m still wondering exactly how this makes them “post-lberationist” rather than, say, integrationist or assimilationist. In your essay, you will have to clearly define your term, put it in conversation with Day’s liberationist vampires, and then connect that post-liberationism to the notion of integration.

Also, it seems to me that vampires have always been liminal figures, on the border of life and death, so how do you see post-liberationist vampires as specifically liminal? Why is this important?

Finally, I would like you to include an explicit connection to the historical/cultural moment of the texts. In other words, can you explain why post-liberationist vampires are particularly resonant to readers and viewers today?

Laura

May 10, 2014 at 9:24 am

• professor, I started on this topic, and decided to go in a completely different direction. I have two drafts prepared, and will bring them to class tomorrow. I did not want to focus on the female protagonist, but ended up doing so since I’ve laid so much emphasis on it within my note taking for the semester.

May 12, 2014 at 5:23 pm

• That sounds fine, Veronica. I’m looking forward to seeing your drafts tomorrow.

May 12, 2014 at 10:00 pm

4. Hey Veronica. I tried messaging you through openlab but I don’t think it was going through. I wanted to know if you knew what the three waves of feminism were. I tried looking up some things online and I was very confused. Can you please email me back achance719@gmail.com. Thank you 🙂

May 10, 2014 at 7:22 pm

5. Hi Ariana, you can use this website from Stanford University to help figure out the waves of feminism. The site also links to many other internet sources and has an extensive bibliography.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/feminism-topics/

Laura

May 10, 2014 at 10:58 pm

• Thank you so much professor, I really appreciate it. 🙂

May 11, 2014 at 12:30 pm