Vampires in 20th and 21st C Literature, Film, and Television

Laura Chierchia blog post 10

Despite Day’s theory of the post human vampire, the 21st century vampire is the ideal model for humanity indicated by the presence of emotion and free will.

These are just some of the quotes that represented the humanity of Bill Compton and Edward Cullen.

Twilight (book)
1) In chapter 13 when Edward explains to Bella that “I have human instincts—they may be buried deep but they’re there.” (278)

2) I’d never seem him struggle so hard for words. It was so…human.

“so there’s no possibility now?”

“Mind over matter,” he repeated, (301)

3) “And so the lion fell in love with the lab..” he murmured (274)
4) “You are my life now” (314)

True Blood (flim)

1) May I call on you sometimes? (Bill)
Call on me (Sookie)
Uh, may I come and visit with you at your home? (Bill)

2) Well, who cares what they think? (Sookie)
I want to make this town my home, so I do, (Bill)

5 Responses

1. With Bill and Edward, they do act on their free will while avoiding attacking the humans around them. They don’t let their desires rule them. Humans are most ethical when they choose the right thing to do over their desires. Edward constantly fights with the desire to bite Bella because he loves her and wants to protect her. This shows his ability to overrule his desire of feeding.

May 7, 2014 at 10:21 am

2. you have a very good point but what you think about the vampires that are the antagonists like the nomads in twilight and the ones from a nest in True Blood.

May 7, 2014 at 9:59 pm

3. I absolutely love your topic. I agree with it and I think you’ll do a great job on your paper. Only thing I suggest is to maybe find other vampires that will help prove your thesis. Other than that, everything looks great.

May 7, 2014 at 11:21 pm

4. I like your thesis, it has a strong beginning that indicates that the vampire figure is indeed “the ideal model for humanity”. You can use the vampires and the humans in Fangtasia in True Blood. The vampires show a superiority in the hierarchy of society when it comes to the humans. The humans are food for the vampires. The vampires throw care to the wind when it comes to killing, whereas the humans show all types of emotion and fight for free will.

May 8, 2014 at 8:48 pm

5. You make some convincing claims here, Laura. In your thesis, you say “Despite Day’s theory of the post human vampire,” and I wonder why you only mention one of Day’s types here? Do you mean “in contrast” to Day’s post-human vampire? And are you only mentioning this one type because it is the type that existed at the end of the 20th century? If so, you need to make that a bit clearer in your thesis.

In your essay, you will have to show that the vampires of Twilight demonstrate humanity through emotion and free will. Then you will have to show that the True Blood vampires demonstrate humanity through emotion and free will.

You will need to consider the question that Osama raised above. It seems like only some of the vampires demonstrate humanity in these texts, so you may have to account for that. Also, you will have to argue that these “human” vampires are different from Day’s Liberationist vampires.

Finally, I would like you to consider why there has been this shift. What in our contemporary society/recent history causes this new type of vampire to resonate with readers/viewers?

Laura

May 10, 2014 at 9:42 am