Vampires in 20th and 21st C Literature, Film, and Television

Atai Wilson

Vampires of the 21st century have become all three types of vampires that Day mentioned. All vampires can become post-human, but are liberationists and will slay vampires in order to liberate others.

Twilight(novel)- 1.When Bella meets Edward and he’s hot and cold with her. 2. When Bella is almost raped and is saved by Edward. — these two moments show how easily Edward can slip into his animalistic(post-human) mode.

Twilight(film)- 1.Edward kills James in order to protect Bella’s right to live. 2. Edward takes Bella to meet the family. — these two moments show that Edward is consciously taking it upon himself to save others, and show that they have equal rights to life. It also shows the slayer aspect of him.

True Blood 1.Bill drinks true blood and goes to sociable places. 2. Bill’s nest friends brag about drinking baby blood. — these two facts show that Bill is interested in the liberation of vampires, and that he can possibly become animalistic like his friends(which seem to be the only people he spends time with).

7 Responses

1. I can imagen this as a very intensive thesis to prove. But if you do end up deciding to do it, it can be great comparing all of Day’s types of vampires.

May 6, 2014 at 6:41 pm

2. I agree twith Dayna when she says this will be a very intense thesis but if you don’t mind all the work then go for it.

May 6, 2014 at 10:30 pm

3. Hmm. This gets me thinking. I think this is a tough point to argue. That 21st century vamps are all three, post-human, liberationist, and slayers. Post-humans give into their animal instinct which means they never really have to accept themselves as who they are if they dont have the conflict. Also, I dont know that they will all slay to liberate others. Who knows. You have a lot to argue here my friend.

May 6, 2014 at 11:43 pm

4. Like everyone else I agree that there is a lot for you to cover here. However it can very well be done. You can also mention the time Edward saved Bella before she was also struck by the van and how although she was bleeding, Edward was still able to fight his animalistic urge to feed, just to name a few.

May 7, 2014 at 9:18 pm

5. like everyone else i think you have a great thesis and i agree with though i don’t think it would be difficult to prove your point as you already have with the examples you gave. Another reason i think your thesis is great is because it brings a human aspect to vampires in the manner that not all vampires are the same and that their personalities differ a lot which then divides them between the 3 types of vampires. Now all you have to do is find a way to stretch it out to 1000-1250 words and your golden.

May 7, 2014 at 10:11 pm

6. Atai, your classmates seem worried for you! I agree that you have set up several burdens of proof with this thesis, but I think that you can do it. However, you claim that 21st century vampires are “all three”of Day’s types, but what about Dracula Variations? We actually studies four types! That requires just an adjustment in your wording (or you can add the fourth type to your argument).

With your thesis, I will expect you to how how the Twilight vampires exhibit characteristics of all three (or four) types.

Than I will expect you to show how the True Blood vampires exhibit characteristics of all three (or four) types.

Your argumentation with have to be detailed and convincing in each of these sections.

I will also want to know why you think vampires are this way today. Put your discussion in conversation with the cultural/historical moment.

This is looking good!
    Laura

May 10, 2014 at 8:28 am

• lol thank you osama, you get it! lmfao and thanks professor, yeah i’ll tweak it so that I can keep it as three.

May 11, 2014 at 8:29 pm