Blog 9

Wallowitz believes: “It was Morrison’s intent to involve the community in and outside the text in their own interrogation for the “smashing” of Pecola and for contributing “to her collapse” (p. 211). I too agree with this statement and believe Pecola’s self-destruction can partly be attributed to her naiveness and gullibility.

8 thoughts on “Blog 9

1. Pecola lives life as a tool for those around her to vent their frustrations on. If she were to have developed any form of resistance then life could had turned out even worse for her because unlike Claudia, she has no one to turn to and comes from nothing, but abuse. Knowing nothing, but scorn would not allow for anyone to grow mentally and as such she is naive and gullible.

2. When I read this, I remembered a scene that may relate to your thesis. Its the scene in the beginning where Pecola, Claudia, and Frieda are all together in the kitchen. They are talking about Curly Sue and the cup with her picture on it. The cup was used for milk, and since thats the only way to keep the cup closer to her, she proceeded with her need to drink milk in order to see this image of Curly Sue. This may help with her naivety. Another scene that may help is the scene with her encounter with Junior. She believed him and ended up in his household, alone, and in the end, amidst the death of the mother’s cat

3. I think a great example you could use to show Pecola’s naiveness and gullibility would be when she is told to feed the dog poison in order to find out if she’ll ever obtain blue eyes.

4. Kevin, it looks like you are extending this argument, right? Right now it sounds a little bit like you are just agreeing. Work on phrasing your sentence so that your voice comes through more strongly in the second portion. Imagine that you are having a respectful debate with Wallowitz, and make your difference of option clear. For example, “While Wallowitz’s claims are true, they do not account for the additional element of . . . . I argue that Pecaola’s “smashing” is not only cause by
    . . . but also . . .”