Question 6

In Two or Three Things I Know For Sure, Dorothy Allison writes about sexuality and violence affecting eachother. Sexuality is a way of expressing the anger the character had because of past violence experience in their lives. “Darlene put her hands over her face as Cholly began to simulate what had gone on before. He could do no more than make believe. …Come on, coon. Faster. You ain’t doing nothing for her. Cholly moving faster, looked at Darlene. He hated her. He almost wished he could do it-hard, long and painfully, he hated her so much” (Pg.148). In The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison writes about sexuality used in a violent manner because of past events that made usr their sexuality as a way to cope with it. For example Cholly feels that when the white men made him hace sex with Darlene so they can watch, it destroyed him. Cholly felt it took his manhood away because he was helpless in that moment and there was nothing he could’ve have done to fight back and protect Darlene. In both texts it mentions sexuality used in a violent manner which were driven by past events in the characters lives that created that way of expression.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 8. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Question 6

1. Shashe says:

I agree that in both novels sexulaity is definitely used as a way to express the pain and anger they have built up inside. For Cholly, I also agree that it probably is a way for him to cope with his anger , and I think it is also might be a similar reason in Dorothy Allison’s novel. They both also do use sexuality in a violent manner through the rapes in the novel.

2. Anwar says:

I agree with the both of you, due to that incident Cholly began to be violent and hostile towards people, barely loving his wife only for sexual pleasures. Now that I think back her never called her beautiful and neither did she acknowledge him as someone who caught her interest through love, it was all sexual between them.