Question #4

Love is a big factor in the Novel “The Bluest Eyes “ by Toni Morrison. It plays a huge part in how the theme is set. It can be clearly seen with Pecola how lack of love affects her. Pecola does not receive very much love from her mother, or her father. Most of the time the father is drunk and ignores her. Pecolas mother is also very uncaring with her. Many times throughout the novel Pecocla is in need of someone to explain certain changes but cannot seem to find help from her mother so she turns to others.  Theses are two clear examples of how she is not shown any love and in result of that Pecola feels some sort of hate or jealousy when she sees others like her being treated differently. When Maureen Peal was first presented Pecola describes all the differences between the treatments she gets. Pecola describes her as a Light skin black girl who seems to be rich. Pecola also States that Maureen get more respect from everyone, even the white teachers. This impacts Pecola even more because she sees this other girl that is being treated better with some amount of love and Pecola get nothing.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 8. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Question #4

1. Rocio says:

I agree with you, Yooalex89. I believe that, yes Pecola does feel a lot of jealousy. I don’t blame her If I was her I would too. but that jealousy comes from the lack of love that she doesn’t receives by the closest people In her life… her family specially mom and dad.