Blog Post #4 Question 1

Some people argue that Dean Moriarty is the center of this novel. Do you agree? Why or why not? What does Dean represent in terms of behavior/lifestyle? Why do you think Sal admires him so much?

In the beginning of the novel I did not believe that Dean Moriarty would be/is the center of the novel however the deeper I got into the book the more it seemed like Dean IS the center of the novel. I said before that Sal looks up to Dean and that is because to him Dean is the personification of freedom. Having been born on the road, consistently on the road and doing whatever he desired, Sal made it seem as if Dean were on another level of humanity. “Mayor insisted he was a moron and fool. Of course he wasn’t and I wanted to prove it to everybody somehow” when Mayor claimed that Dean was a “moron and fool” Sal came to Dean’s defense despite never having actually developed a friendship with him. Sal’s need to defend Dean is derived from his idolization of him and not from his wanting to become friends with Dean. Despite being the narrator and the assumed “central character” Sal talks much about Dean and does nothing but praise him which I believe is enough credit to call Dean the “central” character.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 4. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Blog Post #4 Question 1

1. Jodikg says:

I agree Sal do praise Dean

2. Anwar says:

Sorry Sonnie but I disagree with you. Although your answer has some truth to it I still don’t believe that Dean is the “main character” of the story, i think he’s merely a figment of what Sal wishes to be in his life.