question 8

In the novel On the road have several characters that I feel are very similar to some that where in Giovanni’s room. But Sal is one character in particular that I feel is very similar to Dave from Giovanni’s room. Sal in part one meets a girl at a bus station and he began to talk to her and slowly they began to like each other. Then he slept with her that same night and they stayed together for some time till Sal felt like he had to go back to New York. Sal reminds me a lot like Dave because Dave a lot began to like Giovanni and slept with him on the same day. Dave has a longer and more detailed conversation with Giovanni but he knew he liked him the moment he saw him or at least found him very attractive. Sal states in the beginning of chapter 12 : “I saw the cutest little Mexican girl … Come across my sights”.   This shows how Sal and dean compare. A major difference these 2 characters may have would be that one likes a girl and the other a man .

Alex Vicuna

This entry was posted in Blog Post 4. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to question 8

1. Jodikg says:

I agree with you but the only difference david was in denial that he was gay and Sal knows he straight

2. Interesting observation, Alex. What do you think it means that both characters have immediate attractions to strangers they meet and then develop relationships with those people (and, ultimately, leave them)? If you can make an abstract claim about this observation, you might be on your way to developing a thesis statement for your essay!