Question 7

In my opinion I believe Jacques is trying to give David his perspectives of David’s life.  Jacques is trying to give David another path other than the one David is trying to follow.  Jacques is also trying to tell David that he was in his shoes and has gone through the same experiences that David is going through.  With Jacques getting into David’s head and physically putting what is bothering David with his sexuality out in the open, such as saying that the David believe the act of being together can be something other than dirty.  I believe that the theme of safety and risk is illuminated in the conversation by describing what life can be for David.  If David were to take the safety way in life he would most likely be miserable and regret himself until he dies.  Compared to if he decides to risk his pride and his father’s love (which he really didn’t receive) he will be happy and devoted to the one person that he will be himself with.  I believe this foreshadows his life because it seems like David will certainly become like Jacques and become full of regrets.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 1. Bookmark the permalink.