Blog Post #1 Question #1

Audre Lorde “Age, Race, Class and Sex” had many great points that she talked about and proven. Being a feminist activist Audre definitely fought against many of these problems she talked about and of course in the span of thirty-three years, some of these problems had gone through many changes. Like on page 117 and 118 where she talked about how white teachers had problems teaching students about African American literature yet had no difficulty with works of art by Shakesphere, Aristophanes and other great writers. To me that definitely changed because in middle school I had a teacher named Ms.Muir and was she Caucasian. During Black history month and throughout the school semester, she had no difficulty teaching us about African American Literature. One point that isn’t outdated is on page 117 where she talked about “our daughters are allowing their bodies to be hampered and purgatoried…” This is relevant to this time and to me because I have a one year old niece and it’s frightening thinking about that time in her life when she starts wearing miniskirts and tight clothing. I just hope I do a good job as her uncle to prevent that and have an influence where I can tell her to change her clothes and she’ll do so.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 1. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Blog Post #1 Question #1

1. Shashe says:

I also think that Lorde’s opinion about white women and teachers is wrong. I think that now white women are more accepting and aware of other people’s problem(specifically black women). They are aware that individuals have different experiences. I also agree that women are not caring about their bodies,I have a niece as well and I wouldn’t want her to treat herself like that.

2. Very nice inclusion of quotes and specifics from the text, Sudesh. You support your claims well.