Weekly Blogs

The blog posting requirements have changed slightly. Each week you will have to post a response to a discussion question by Wednesday at 1:00 pm (just like before). You will then have to comment on at least two other posts from that week by the end of day on Friday (11:59 pm).

**For the title/subject of the post, please include your name and the number of the discussion question you are answering. Also, you will need to categorize your post before you publish it. Look on the right side of the screen when you are done writing your blog, and click the box next to the correct blog post number**

Each Wednesday by 1:00 pm, create a post that:

• Is 100-200 words
  • Thoughtfully responds to one of the posted discussion questions
  • Provides direct quotes from the text in order to support and clarify your discussion

Each Friday, by 11:59 pm:

• Respectfully and thoughtfully comment on at least two other blog posts.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 1, Blog Post 2. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Weekly Blogs

1. TMHOYTE says:

Question #4 David goes to paris so that he can escape his father and his ways. Being around his father has made him pick up drinking and he started doing more of the things his father was doing. David figures that if he is in Paris he won’t have to live up to his fathers expectations or do what his father thought he should do. Going to Paris will allow him a fresh start and a way to figure his own life out and what path he thinks he should take rather than what path is father thinks he should take. I also believe that he is trying run away from his past; his experience with joey still plagues him. I don’t think he succeeded in his flight because he needs to face whats going on with it so many times its comes back to haunt him

2. question 7
    i think Jacques wants David to realize what he is, and accept it as soon as possible. I also think Jacques wants him to keep questions himself in order to find the answer as soon as possible. I think this because Jacques says, “You are lucky that what is happening to you now is happening now and not when you are forty.(54) Jacques also says, “Think, of the men who have kneeled before you while you thought of something else and pretended nothing happening there in the dark between you legs.”(56) He’s trying to make David realize by denying what hes doing, it doesnt change the fact that its still happening. That his feelings wont go away, just because he’s denying to acknowledge the fact he is a homosexual. Jacques wants David to take the risk, just dive in to his feelings and accept them before he’s old and destroys himself.

3. TMHOYTE says:

Question #6
    I think that the text approaches sexuality in an interesting way. The text isn’t really advocating for it but it also isn’t advocating against it. In the story David has a hard time coming to terms with the fact that he is also attracted to men. He feels that is takes away from his masculinity and he is trying really hard to run away from that. As for the underlining homophobia I think there is some of that too, like for example when David and Jacques were sitting and talking in chapter 3 and they first meet Giovanni, as they were talking David did not want to come off as being attracted to men so he quickly told Jacques that he was attracted to women and that if it was a women that was the waiter he would go after her even though later on he ended up hitting it off with Giovanni. I also believe that these things served as both character development and that Baldwin had some internalized homophobia in himself

4. TMHOYTE says:

Question #6