Read and React 5 – Employee Turnover

My professor for my Human Resource Management class was always pretty transparent about what working for Disney is like, its imperfections, mistakes and the college program. We learned about Union/Shop Stewardesses, lawsuits, terminations and even re-hires. It made me understand the scope of an HR manager and how it is more than just recruiting and training. HR managers really need a wide breadth of knowledge of their nation’s laws and rights.

My professor also went into detail about the reprimand and points system. And after observing three CPs self-term and learning about the firing/rehiring 0f full time employee(s) at my location, I choose an article about employee turnover. It is not an academic article but it is a reputable source my HR Management professor gave us for our article review assignments.

Mark Hewitt from Workforce.com tells us that there are holistic ways to keep employees in the workforce: adhering to the company’s core values; proactive communication and listening; genuine connection and community building; and caring “caveats.” Using the technology and consulting company Allyis as his main example, Mark describes how this company uses surveys, altruism and places priority on long term relationships among employees so that it rolls over to employee – client relationships. In a way, it is similar to Disney but I’m not sure how this company fares with its average turnover.

Allyis has had a 95% average retaining employees for three years so something was probably done right. Granted, this article was written in the year 2007 so things might have been challenging in recent years. It’s just interesting–people either really love or dislike the Walt Disney company and decide to stay. I wonder what company I’d like to permanently stay with because right now I have no idea.

Source:

Finding and Keeping the Best 3 Ways to Ensure That Employees Stay

This entry was posted in Read and React 5. Bookmark the permalink.