D minus 27 part 1

12/11-12/17

As all good or bad things must come to an end, this will be the second to last posting of my journey through the Disney College Program. I’ve broken the post into two parts because I do not want to confuse any reader with my polar emotional state composing these last two entries. First, I would like to emphasize on the importance of friendship as another roommate self-termed weeks before the end of this program. The reason was not Disney related but the impact on me is just as heartbreaking. If you are not someone emotionally stable enough to handle farewells, I would recommend to not make any new friends in Disney because not many will make it till the end. I was able to send him off with a proper goodbye as the first picture suggested. The Caymus is a Cabernet Sauvignon from the Napa Valley which is a favorite of many guest and Floridians alike. I apologize for the container in which we drank out of but as a broke Disney College Program student, you have to make due with what is there.

Second, for anyone looking to enroll and begin their journey with the Disney College Program, proceed with caution. You will lose friends, you will lose a piece of your sanity, but most importantly, don’t give up. After working for 8 years in New York making a comfortable salary, taking up this opportunity has almost crippled me financially. The working hours can be long and tedious or short and leaves your penniless, do not even consider having holidays off. As the last few weeks of the program is slowly passing by, the thought to end the program early will come up across one’s mind less and less as a joke. Find positive people to talk out the feelings with or even find others who share the same feeling and count down together. It is been far too long and deep now to give up so prevail, because if you are a quitter, this is not the program for you.

To end things however on a more positive note, Christmas decorations around the different resorts are something you must visit during the holidays. Not only is the smell of gingerbread everywhere, but the dedication of Disney bakers and artists to make the displays come to life is almost magical.

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to D minus 27 part 1

1. Jason, After reading this entry, I am, more than ever, aware of the hardships that will be faced during the program. Thank you for your honesty and for painting a picture that goes beyond the smiles and good time. Reading this helps me to prepare for what is to come in the future, and while at first it may be unsettling, there is comfort in knowing a little bit of what to expect. I hope you have kept in touch with your friend, and I wholeheartedly believe that you experience and your struggles have helped you become better in all aspects of life.