Read and React #2

Safety is key in every location. Since traditions, I have noticed that DISNEY really care of the guest’s safety and us cast member’s safety too. Every time I go to a meeting or even class. The first thing they do is play a safety video. It’s takes about 2 minutes and they go over the exits and what we have available for us in case of emergencies. When I got trained as a park greeter in Epcot the trainer would talk to us about what to do in case of emergencies. We have a fire extinguisher everywhere in the park. We have three different fire extinguishers, one for a different type of emergency. They are named A, B and, C, “A “being less serious to “C” being the most critical.

The steps that we are trained during an emergency are the following, to remain calm, don’t panic, get ourselves and others out of harm, help INJURED PERSONS, remain calm, help them through the pain, contact 911 if emergency assistance if needed, and to let a leader know. We also have to contact 911 from the park or a house phone. We can’t contact from a cellphone because the ambulance it’s going to come outside of Disney property and it’s going to take longer to arrive. We have already ambulance in Disney property that would get to the location in less than 5 minutes. We also have a first- aid station located in Epcot, which is great.

In the article, “The Storm’s of Summer” by Barbara Higgins says “most important, when we considered business recovery, we considered the impact that these devastating storms had on our employees and not just on our physical assets. An important lesson to be learned in the face of a crisis is to show compassion for your employees and the toll the situation has had upon them, their families, and their loved ones.” This is very important because in a management future you need to care for the guests and employee. When we make decisions on certain things during an event, we got to think on people’s safety. Barbara also says, “No one in the hospitality business wants to lose control of the guest experience at any time”. I agree with this because we need to remain calm and continue doing magic with the guests. We don’t want the guests to leave because of an incident. We always have to remain calm and make the guest feel safe.

This entry was posted in Read and React 2. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Read and React #2

1. Andrea Chan says:

We have the A, B and C exits in our park too! (Animal Kingdom). I think that it’s great how we all have somewhat the same knowledge on safety and routines. For example, if I were to be deployed to Epcot, it’s beneficial to know that there are also A, B and C exits at your park too. We were also taught about the important phone numbers to call in case of emergencies where we needed the ambulance.

2. Andrea Chan says: