Read & React #1: Employee Loyalty

Sitting in the classroom filled with peers my age who were college participants and other full time employees I kind of knew what to expect from my roommates. Although I had an idea Traditions was nerve wrecking but became exciting. This was the beginning of my journey as a Walt Disney World Employee. Traditions was a way to learn about the Disney culture. It taught me what it is the company provides to guests and how they go about doing so.

I learned about the “four keys” which are safety, courtesy, show and efficiency. These keys are constantly being brought up especially at work. While visiting the parks I also notice when these four keys are being utilized by cast members. Safety is the first and most important key. Disney’s saying is, “Safety begins with me” and this is because they want you to feel safe in the environment you work in by following proper procedures. They want to ensure the safety of all employees and guests at all times, whether, you are in a park, resort or on any Disney property. The second key- courtesy means being kind, patient and understanding of guests. Examples of this are making eye contact, greeting guests, approaching guests if they look lost or confused.  We are all putting on a show for the guests at Disney World. Show is the third key and this means being in the Disney look when you are onstage, maintaining character integrity and keeping the parks and resorts clean. The last key is efficiency which means being effective in helping guests and in your role.

The Disney Company does exactly as Freidlein says, ““We highlight new employees in the break room with names, a portrait and a work and personal history. It helps them become bonded more quickly and develop company loyalty from the beginning.” At every orientation we were asked to introduce ourselves, state where we from and what role we were taking on at Disney. On my first day of orientation at Coronado Springs Resort, we took a group photo of all the new hires which was posted on a bulletin board. There was also an introduction of new cast members during breakout meetings in the morning. I think by doing this it helps new hires feel welcomed into the company. This creates a feeling of becoming part of something that is bigger than just us as an individual which creates employee loyalty.

This entry was posted in Read and React 1. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Read & React #1: Employee Loyalty

1. Keriann says:

One of the aspects of Disney I appreciate the most is how personal everyone and everything is. Even if the class is large, like in Traditions or even at our role-specific classes, we went around to each and every person to get to know them. We’re encouraged to strike up conversation with anyone and everyone and it’s 9 times out of 10 returned with enthusiasm! I’m sure you were able to tell by your educators’ words and actions that they really love what Disney stands for and that kind of loyalty is very contagious.

It’s awesome that you were part of a group photo for new hires! That does sound very welcoming and I completely agree with your statement about that wonderful feeling of becoming part of something bigger than us.

2. It sure feels great to be part of this phenomenal company such as Disney, as we progressed on our training we learned more and more on how to keep guest happy, willing to come back and also learned how much time and effort it takes to create the magic.