Weekly Journal 15

My last week was pretty busy due to the fact I was working 6 days with only one day off. On my only day off I had a million of things to do last minute shopping, I was able to go to the other parks for one last time, and I said bye to one of my co-workers who was heading back home the next day. I started to pack the small things and gathered items I will not need. Packing is probably as hard from packing to move down here. Without knowing the following day after work my roommate and I stayed up till 5am packing we were so busy and into packing we didn’t realize the time but we did accomplish our main goal.

Last day of work, the most bittersweet day besides moving out. Saturday, January 3, 2015 was the last time I clocked in and clocked out for work. It was a lonely night because it was just another CP and myself, since everyone’s last night was either Thursday or Friday. It was the greatest feeling to know you have reached the end of the program. Yes, I did it! I’ve started my program May 27, 2014 and officially completed January 5, 2015. At the beginning of my program I felt like it was going to be a long program but actually it went by fast. Working the role of PM housekeeping was an incredible experience that I was not expecting at all, but it did open up a whole new perspective of what I want to follow for my future career. My role helped me learn more about resorts and the biggest department in the industry, Housekeeping. I was able to work not only with my department but also front desk and custodial. All-Star resort is one of the biggest resorts on Disney property and I was lucky to be part of it.

One of the advantages we as students were able to do was take Disney courses. Two of the classes I took and completed were Interactive Learning and Human Resource Management. As a student these two classes were a major advantage to me because these classes taught me a new learning experience and curiosity to a new field. Disney courses are no different from our classes at City Tech; you have readings, writing assignments, quizzes, and projects. One of my classes was all about working together, as teams to successfully become a business just like the Walt Disney World Company works. My second class was Human Resources was a great learning experience for me because it was field I was curious about and made me more knowledgeable, I took advantage of this class because it might be a field I would like to also do and follow.

Living for almost 8 months in Florida on my own has changed my life. I have learned many things about myself that will only continue to grow. I have met amazing people from roommates, classmates, and my fellow cast members. We all shared one dream, one goal, one success, and I’m glad I had the opportunity to share it with them. Before starting my Disney College Program I remember Professor Goodlad telling us to go explore, learn, network, and play in the parks, but best foremost that doing the Disney College Program is a living, learning, and earning experience.

10922678_857803507599936_566815171894630667_n

(Completed my Disney College Program)

10941876_857803524266601_1674434559081256745_n10888543_857803550933265_742845991787068832_n

(Both my Disney courses I’ve completed )

10926373_850739058306381_1540849006602248525_n

(College Program Crew for PM housekeeping)

10801665_917603191607958_7566395579604691754_n

(Recreating the ultimate Oscar Selfie with fellow cast members)

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Weekly Journal 15

1. I agree my last week was also very busy, especially since I tend to leave everything to last minute. I was working ten days straight on my last 2 weeks and by the time I got home I was too tired to even try packing. I just ended up going to Epcot and Magic Kingdom our last day. But I agree we learned so much during this experience.

2. Reading this made me even more excited about the Disney college program. I can’t wait to explore and learn all what Disney has to offer. I’m going to take two Disney courses, one is the Experiential learning and the other one is Human Resource Management. What advice can you give me about taking these courses? Were they harder than you expected?