Weekly Journal #13

Multitasking is probably one of my favorite working experiences that I developed throughout my work locations. At my previous job I was constently hands on busy and had to multitask at a fast paced environment. In my current role I have this responsibility in all of the different position I am for the day. Dispatching is where you are put to the real test because you have a lot in your hands and plus there’re times you have to call the shots at your own will. It is a big responsibility but when I am put to dispatch I am very confident with the work and calls I make, as well helping my fellow cast members with any assistant they need while they’re out in the area.

Being at dispatch has taught me a few of the other roles such as front desk and custodial. The role of front desk not only did I learn a lot from dispatch but also from my roommate who helped me understand better the role of front desk. My roommate is front desk at All-Star Resort, believe it or not we actually work together a couple of nights such as checking rooms, sending calls through maximo, out in the area, and through the phone while I am at dispatch. One night while I was done doing a checkout, my roommate Helen was runner front desk, she had to go check the room status of the check out I was cleaning, luckily I was done with the room and I told her I was completely done I just have to punch it in the system, which I did but she had to call front desk as well to let them know that its ready due to 100% occupancy that night. The other night besides working at times side by side with Helen, I get calls from back OPS, front desk and concierge. On a Monday night, which for us PM housekeeping are usually the busiest, I get a call from our very own concierge who happen to be our classmate from City Tech Georgina. She had two calls to confirm with me because guests called her about the status. It was for two rooms that need assistance from our carpets department. I explained to her that these rooms had a bit of delay because our Carpets cast member was busy with another call before those calls but that they are on the way. Georgina explained to me what exactly is it that the guest needed so I told her to not worry I will let the Carpet cast member know what they need to look forward when going to the room and that she was going to call the guest explaining why its taking a bit long to get to their room. For custodial, because we share the same channel on the radio. At night custodial usually are in charge of check the washing machines, for example one night the change machine was not working and the dryer wasn’t working either. So the cast member called dispatch over the radio explaining to me what was going on and I told her that to send the guest at front desk to get their money back, ill give front desk a heads up, as well for the machines that aren’t working to put the out of order sign because I have to put work orders for engineering to come take a look at it.

This line of business has taught me how much we really do work together close and as a team. At the end of the day we all need one another to achieve a successful magical day not only for ourselves but as well for our guests. Multitasking has been one for my work ethics that I was able to grow more through this experience. It also has given me an open mind of where in the line of business I may be interested in. As well all know housekeeping is one of the biggest departments in the hospitality industry but at resorts I feel it just gets bigger. I can’t wait to take this learning experience for my next job opportunity and continue to grow.