Weekly Reflective Journal #14

Recently I have been trained as a house person for three days. To my surprise, I actually didn’t like house person at all. I thought I would’ve loved doing this role since its such a breeze and not a lot of pressure going on. However, it could have been the fact that I have gotten so use to housekeeping that being physically active and moving constantly for 8 hours feels great! My trainer was named Luis and he was a very cool house person to be with. He taught me that during the mornings, I must take out all the trash bags from the cans that reside near the elevators, outside of the hotels main entrance and near the ice machine. Afterwards, I take a metal cleansing solution and wipe down the elevators, the ice machine and anything metal like to maintain its shininess. After wiping, I would proceed to mopping the floor to keep the floors clean.

House person definitely differs greatly than housekeeper due to the fact that there isn’t a lot of pressure and you get to take plenty of breaks without constantly cleaning rooms. Now most people would assume that this would be their ideal type of role but housekeeping is much more ideal for me because when I am on break, I would feel even more tired and would often think of negative nonsense inside my head that would hinder me from doing a good job. The downside to being a house person is how much lifting is required. And for a small petite girl like me, I found it nearly impossible for me to carry heavy bags of linen and garbage and throwing it on top of a metro.

P.S. My trainer didn’t want to teach me how to drive a pargo because I didn’t have a drivers license. He was also fearful that I would drive the pargo into the lake due to some past incidents he had with one CP. It would be nice to drive a pargo someday! I really do plan on taking driving lessons once I come back from Florida.

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Weekly Reflective Journal #14

1. Carol.Pelaez says:

Houseperson is definitely a tough job and as well they have a lot of responsibilities. It is good to know and have a sense what a house person does. I do agree with you its hard labor because they do a lot of lifting such as linens, trash, and etc, which can be harder with the amounts of checkouts there is.

As for driving the pargo, its a very cool thing. I learned how to drive better with the pargo as for my PM housekeeping we are required to drive pargos since we have a smaller team. But having a pargo means a lot of responsibilities. You should definitely take lessons and get your drivers license you will feel great with the accomplishment.

2. Ninoska says:

I was actually thinking of asking my manager to cross train me as a house person, just because I would like to have experience in something else than housekeeping. I’m still debating if I should ask, it looks like a tough job and like you petite so the heavy lifting would be a concern for me.