Read and React #3

The article “Mistakes to Avoid by Newly Promoted Managers” by hcareers.com talks about the transition phase and success strategies of newly promoted managers. I am in complete agreement about the highlighted points mentioned in this article: start off as an observer, take the middle path, avoid cliques and factions, and to expand your own network. I just recently learned that I am a reflective learner according to David Kolb’s learning style type survey that I did in my experiential learning class two weeks ago. I like to observe my surroundings before taking the best action. I also don’t like work politics and siding on a faction because it will create an unsteady work environment. As for networking, I love meeting and talking to new people especially those who are experts in the hospitality field.

During my four month stay here in the Walt Disney Company, I managed to observe and ask my coordinators and leaders about the nature of their work in stands east Magic Kingdom. Jessica, one of my favorite coordinators told me that before getting a promotion to become a coordinator, a cast member must be trained and efficient in all roles in stands east: regular quick service role, stocker, cooker, GT or general teller, trainer, closing and opening shifts. As a regular cast member, I still need to get training in the roles of stocking, cooker, GT and trainer which I don’t think is possible in my current length of stay unless I decided to be a full/part timer employee in this company next year after my graduation. Aside from those prerequisites, coordinators can handle any situation coming from a guest whether it’s a dispute, refund, complaint, and many others. I recently learned that changing coffees in the urns and oasis bucket (sanitizer) is part of their job but they always ask cast members to do it.

As for the leaders or managers, most of them got promoted internally from different Walt Disney Park locations. Julie, my favorite leader was a previous CP like me and is only 24 years old. I was a bit surprised to have met a very young manager like her. She told me that after finishing her college program, she immediately applied and transition into Disney’s professional internship in management. She was very aggressive in networking and took a lot of leadership classes that was needed for a managerial role. Part of a manager’s role on a day to day basis is to check up on every stands in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. They also check, make changes, switch, approve, deny, give ADO’s (approve day off), ER (early release) and extend shifts. One of their crucial tasks is to term a cast member on the spot if caught stealing, eating, playing while on the clock, give points, coaching, written and verbal statements which can be shown in a cast member’s report card.

This entry was posted in Read and React 3. Bookmark the permalink.