Weekly Reflective Journal 5

This week before I went to sleep I wanted to make some lunch to take to work with me the next day. So I had put some oil in a frying pan to let it start heating up but my roommates distracted me and I forgot about it. My roommate Alexis says “isn’t that smoke?, so as I turn around to look the pan caught on fire so immediately grab the pan of the stove top and start jumping up and down panicking a little because I wasn’t sure what to do. They tell me to put it in water but right I was about to I remember that you can’t put an oil fire in water. Finally my other roommate listens to me and hits the fire with one of her slipper I don’t really know how but it stopped the fire. The first thing that came to my head after was that because I took culinary I, I knew that I couldn’t throw water at an oil fire and felt great because if not things could have gotten really ugly.  That was definitely this best learning experience for me this week. The program should offer better cooking pans.

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Weekly Reflective Journal 5

1. Ninoska says:

Wow, I’m glad everything’s fine. I also had a similar incident but it didn’t catch on fire, I was making chicken and I was suppose to put in more water but I didn’t. I went in my room and when I go to check on the chicken there was smoke coming out the pan. Good thing the smoke didn’t activate the fire alarm or the sprinklers.

2. I am happy you are safe, fire is a serious safety concern. Make sure to stay safe when cooking by staying focused on one situation at a time. The distractions that happen around us can draw our attendtion away in a bad way. Make sure to thank your Culinary I teacher when you can.