Read and React 1

Traditions is a way for Disney to orientate their cast members with their company however they blew it out of the water. Traditions was something I looked forward to you could even say I was excited for it. I am normally not excited for orientation at a new job because I know I will just be watching videos about safety. We had to watch videos during Traditions but they were not boring they were so informative and eye opening. I never knew how much Disney owned when it came to media. However the most important thing I learned at Traditions were the four basic keys. (Safety, Show, Courtesy, and Efficiency)

I use all of these keys everyday at work. I am safe every time I put on a pair of gloves to prevent cross contamination. I practice the show key with each pizza I make. I make sure that it is something a guest paying $9.00 for a flatbread pizza would want to eat. I use the Courtesy key when I talk to my fellow cast members. I am also efficient when I am doing prep work.

In the article “Create Company Loyalty with New Hire Practices” the author Tasha Freidlein stated “We also require that all employes spend a night at the hotel to experience the hotel from a guest perspective.” This is something my leaders constantly tell me to do. When I am catching a pizza out of the oven my leader will come up to me and ask; Would you eat this? If you were a guest receiving this pizza would you be happy? If I even question the pizza they would just throw it out. Not only is this practicing the 2nd basic key (Show) but it also makes me step into the guest’s shoes and think twice about what I am serving.

This entry was posted in Read and React 1 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Read and React 1

1. Hi Greg!

Your response to traditions was very similar to my own. Traditions really opened you up to the difference that you can make at Disney world and the magic that you can create with guest. No matter if your in the front of the house or the back of the house. I love that your leader is so hands on and has made you step in the shoes of a guest. Because at the end of the day we all want to be treated special when we are on vacation. Your attitude towards having to throw away a pizza that you made and start from scratch is also amazing. It takes a real passion and dedication to be in the hospitality business and genuinely want to cater to the needs of the guest, not many people are like this.