Journal Entry 04

screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-7-57-07-pm
Throughout my day at the Haute Living Magazine, I am usually working on a minimum of two projects daily. This depends on the day, on Wednesdays I usually work on one project since I have only 4-5 hours I can contribute there. The process starts with my supervisor sending me all the assets, which includes: images, copy, and examples of their issues regarding that specific content.  For one project, I send at least two or four versions of different layouts containing the same information. I begin placing elements such as pull quotes. I have freedom to be creative with the color palette and the layout, but I have to make sure I incorporate the topic with the magazine’s aesthetics.  My duties are aiding me to exercise on hierarchy and creating a renewed and organized composition.  It’s great that I get to be creative but I also get to learn and work on many important foundations in my workplace, such as correctly naming the files, packaging, and following guidelines. It is important that I am detailed-oriented but also have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. For me, it is important to reach the needs of my supervisor. The major part in this process is communication, understanding what he wants but also not being afraid of asking all the questions I need to before working on the assignment. In regard to the industry I am learning various things. Whenever, at the end of the day or at the end of an assignment my supervisor opens up the file and helps me move things or tells me what to change. He sometimes shows me tricks on InDesign that I didn’t know. It’s really cool to watch someone work especially since you want to be at that level of confidence with your work.