My name is Victoria Vignapiano, I am 21 years old, I currently live in Staten Island, New York and I am a graduate of the dental hygiene program at NYCCT.

Growing up, the dental field was something I always found an interest in. From attending my dental cleaning appointments to actually wanting to be told I would need orthodontic braces, I felt that this was a field I could see myself pursuing a career in. As a child, I remember the excitement I was filled with when my orthodontist said that I would need to have braces put on to correct my teeth. Now most kids my age were not excited when they experienced the same situation. I never had a fear of the dentist like a lot of other kids my age, in fact, I actually enjoyed and looked forward to the appointments!

Fast forward a couple years, I became a high school student in 2010 and joined the dental assisting/dental laboratory elective at Tottenville High School in Staten Island, NY. After completing this program, I became certified in dental radiology by the Dental Assisting National Board, received my NOCTI Certification of Completion and also earned a Certificate of Recognition for academic achievement in the dental assisting program from the Second District Dental Society  of New York. With the help of my dental assisting teacher, I was granted a dental assisting job for an orthodontist in June 2013 and gained a great amount of dental experience.

With the passion for this field, I did not want my career to stop there, so I had the goal of becoming a college graduate. In 2016, I applied to NYCCT’s dental hygiene program and was granted my acceptance letter soon after. Although this was the the toughest two years of my life, it was also the most rewarding. I learned an immense amount of information regarding oral health and I have worked so hard to become the dental hygienist I am today. I have so many positive experiences that I would love to share through some photos and descriptions on my ePortfolio.

Hope you enjoy!