Image of museum

Exterior of the Museum of the City of New York

“The Museum of the City of New York fosters understanding of the distinctive nature of urban life in the world’s most influential metropolis. It engages visitors by celebrating, documenting, and interpreting the city’s past, present, and future.” -MCNY

The organization I will be working for is The Museum of the City of New York, a museum that focuses on history, education, and art in different mediums centralized around New York events and culture. The Museum of the City of New York, or MCNY for short, is a well-established and received museum located in Manhattan, New York. The museum is a private non for profit organization established by Henry Collins Brown, a Scottish-born historian and writer, in 1923. One article by the New York Times called Museum of the City of New York: Reduced but Reopening, describes the museum as a hidden gem that was able to survive the pandemic hit by conducting virtual talks by artists and curators.Β 

New York Times “In the ’80s, Post-Punk Filled New York Clubs. Their Videos Captured It.” article.

In another article by The New York Times called In the 80s, Post-Punk Filled New York Clubs. Their Videos Captured It, talks about the new music generating around NYC in a stressful economic and social time during the AIDS epidemic. Documents featured in the article are part of the MCNY collection.

Regarding my position in the organization, I will be part of the marketing and communications team as an intern. Judging by the description of the position, they may even give me an opportunity to complete a special project designed to enhance my professional portfolio.