About Me

Poster Presentation at Greater New York Dental Meeting

My name is Valerie McCartney, and I have been tremendously lucky to be born and raised in one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world, New York. As an aspiring Dental Hygienist, I was fortunate enough to be exposed to Dentistry during my younger years. I always look back with a grin recalling all of my positive experiences with my former dentist. During high school, I was given the opportunity of taking Restorative Dentistry and Dental Assisting as my elective classes. I was then offered a Dental Assisting job, and from there I began to pave my path.

I entered CUNY NYC College of Technology in the fall of 2011, and I began taking the pre-requisite courses to be accepted into the Dental Hygiene program. After hard work and dedication, I was accepted into the program for the incoming class of 2013. Though it was satisfying, the real journey was clearly just beginning.

This program has been a metamorphosis in and of itself, being transformed from timid first semester students to well-rounded dental hygienists. I have learned the importance of prevention, patient education, and making a difference in my patient’s lives-no matter how big or small. The information I have been taught in lectures, but more importantly hands-on in clinic has helped shape the student dental hygienist I am today.

As the finish line of my first degree is approaching, I know in my heart that this is the beginning of a wonderful and exciting career. I will carry my experiences in clinic and the impact I have had on patient’s as a student for the rest of my career. Even as students, at the rudimentary stage of learning, what we do in clinic, I feel has had impact on my patients health and is affecting their lives. Using our knowledge to improve another’s life while being passionate,empathetic, and professional is the essence of this career, and I am thankful to say I am a true fit.