Completion of Training and Meeting Mentor

Week 1: 1/29/2023–2/4/2023 | Featured Image Yama Holocaust Memorial by Yaniv Ben-Arie

text-to-speech

For this semester, I will be working with the Faculty Commons Design Team at City Tech, which assists with providing work to faculty and staff within City Tech. While I am not going to be graduating for another two semesters, I wanted to start taking on internships as early as possible so that I would be able to earn more experience before I graduate. As such, I obtained permission to take the internship course last semester from one of the department’s advisors. I was recommended by my Communication Design Theory professor from the previous semester to apply for this internship, and after refining both my resumé and portfolio, I submitted my all necessary documents along with my application. Two weeks later, I was given the opportunity to take on the position and join the team.

At the time, I have completed training for my internship in January. The team and I also met this Wednesday, and it was determined that myself as well as the other intern would be assigned a mentor for the first project we are given.

I was tasked with designing a poster/flier for an E-Mail blast, a web banner, and slides for monitor displays for an upcoming exhibit, which means that I will be working in the RGB channel for the most part. So, I won’t be limited with color usage. Still, I will first need to develop an identity system/branding for the project, which will be a welcomed challenge.

I am excited to work with my current mentor as I have previously received feedback for my work before from her, and I found her to be very honest and straight to the point. Her portfolio also shows work that I am interested in learning how to create myself. I’m sure I will learn a lot from her and I’m looking forward to developing my existing skills as a designer.

Before I get started with the project, however, I must first meet with the client. Thus, I have touch-based with my mentor and sent out an E-Mail to introduce myself to the client. It seems that they already have an image that they want to work into the deliverables. (See featured image above post). I am currently waiting for their response to set up a meeting time either via Zoom or in-person. During my training, the senior designers as well as my supervisor reviewed the basics of professionalism when working with a client. Although I am quite introverted and not much of a speaker, I intend to apply this to my meeting with the client so that I can produce the best results to my abilities.

It is slightly nerve-wracking, but I am aware that public speaking is a hurdle I must overcome and grow accustom to—even if I would prefer not to do it.