Completed Deliverables and Effective Communication

Week 11: 4/9/2023–4/15/2023 | Featured Image by Volodymyr Hryshchenko on Unsplash

text-to-speech

The deliverables for the conference project has been completed. I ran into a few hiccups while awaiting for approval from my mentor and supervisor for the finalized deliverables. Essentially, the client had expressed that she would like to receive the deliverables by April 10th. Despite having sent the finalized deliverables to my supervisor and mentor many days prior to the due date and following up with them, there was a lack of replies. I finally received a response on the morning of the due date from my supervisor who stated that the deliverables were OK for submission and only minor alterations were required for revision. I informed in an E-Mail response that I would send the updated drafts for a final round of revision and aimed to send the deliverables to the client before the end of the work day in a follow-up E-Mail, but received no response.

Because there were no updates and the client had expected the deliverables prior to the end of the workday, I was forced to finally make the decision of sending in the the revisions without going through a final round of revision.

Despite being praised by my supervisor for making the executive decision of sending in the deliverables into the client before the end of the workday, I feel that this experience was cutting it too close. I have determined that for future projects, I should follow up with my team more closely because it will not always be the case where the work I submit will be without issue. There could be things that I overlook that my team members may be able to spot. Thus, I have asked for the phone numbers of my team members, so that I could refer to them when there is a lack of E-Mail communications.

In hindsight, communication may be more effective if the team used tools such as Slack, Discord, or Google Teams. I feel that this opinion may be worth bringing up in the next status meeting.