Trip 6/12 Reflections

The Eagle Warehouse

On June 12th it was a beautiful day to explore the beauty of New York City. I was lucky that
Professor Phillip brought us to a trip. As a New Yorker that has been living in Ne

w York City 6 years, I have been visited Dumbo several times, but I never realized that there are some historical buildings still exist. While we were walking from our school to the Dumbo, Professor Phillip told

us that the building that with the clock was like a public service back then. There is a building called The Eagle Warehouse that used to be newspaper warehouse, it has turned in to the residential building. This reminds me of the Paper Factory Hotel that used to be a warehouse and has turned into a hotel that located in Long Island City. This is very interesting like people are staying in historical buildings, it sounds green to me that people have reused vacant buildings.
   I was so excited to take the NYC Ferry; the ferry ; NYC Ferry is not free, but it only cost $2.75 that take you to the Williamsburg. The ferry seemed new and fresh, I would say it had a better condition than the Staten Island Ferry. The ferry crossed under the Manhattan Bridge, I had seen a building that was under construction that located beside the Manhattan side of Manhattan Bridge. When I saw the building, it made me think of the historical buildings that the professor had mentioned. I think the city is getting more modern buildings which means more and more historical building are hidden by those new buildings. It was a great experience to take the ferry, the view was so beautiful.

The residential building

When we arrived at the destination, I saw the residential building with clear glass. The environment over there was clean not like the street that I used to see in New York City, I had a feeling that I was in Singapore. While we walking to the Domino Park, I saw there was plenty of pet stores. I assume that many people have at least one dog at their house. Street gave me a feeling that I was in Boston. It was quiet, and the tempo was slower. There was some warehouse turned in to the office or residential buildings. Those buildings are the mark of the history, I hope that those buildings would exist as long as possible because it is meaningful to the history. When we passed by a place that the artist was painting the wall for the movie theater, this remained me this was the culture of New York. I was in New York not in Singapore or Boston. When we walked along the park, we saw three sugar tank over there. This is the traces that the sugar factory been here before and has reused it and has turned it this place to a fresh looking.

Domino Park

Domino Park was clean, and I saw some workers were picking up the trash when they saw it. Many parents brought their children to this park and some people brought their dogs. It is a great place to spend time with pets, kids, friends, and family. This place is like a place that escapes the stress and to relax. One of the classmates has mentioned about Domino Park has the feeling of High Line, I totally agree with her opinion. The park has the modern feeling and the natural element on it. It was amazing that turned a Domino Sugar Factory to Domino Park. There was a vacant factory or warehouse that was under construction. At the time, I was thinking it might be a new residential building.  Last stop, we went to was the Taco Cina. This was the only place that selling food and beverage at the Domino Park. Taco Cina was a little pricey and the food was not that special. I suggest they can add more options to the park like hot dogs.
  Overall, this was a great experience that let me had a chance to see and learn about the urban history of New York City. After the factory left the waterfront, it became vacant places.  But, people reused it and turned into a place that people would love to visit. I was grateful that I had this opportunity to learn more about New York City.