Week Nine, Class One

Hello! remember that today you will be working with Prof. Maria Giuliani, a particularly amazing illustrator, designer, and typographer. Just to remind you, I am writing this [scary voice] from beyond the borough! I am at the Southern Graphics Council Conference in California, so be as great as you usually are and work your butts off. I will be so happy to get home to see you next week!

Classwork

Logotypes or word marks:

A logotype, commonly known in the design industry as a “word mark”, incorporates your company or brand name into a uniquely styled type font treatment. Type fonts come in thousands of possible variations, shapes, sizes, and styles, each conveying a slightly different impression upon your intended audience. Images can also be integrated into a logotype, often to great visual effect. Of prime consideration when selecting a logotype or wordmark is legibility and ease of recognition, even when reduced to the size required for printing your business cards.

Type Book

We are getting to the really exciting stuff! Here are the files.

• Typographical Patterns
  • Embellished Quotes
  • Logotypes

Zine

• You have been working on your mood boards. If time allows, Prof. Giuliani will speak with you about your ideas thus far. Once again, she is phenomenal, so talk to her, get everything you can!
  • Now that you have some basic ideas, you need to come in tomorrow with some definite ideas, captured in sketches or on your dummy and be ready for small group critiques of your ideas and rough sketches.
  • Tomorrow, you are going to go over some basic ways to make images with little or no tools.

Homework

• Type Book: Finish all of the Type Book work and send it to me for feedback.
  • Zines: Be ready with your developed mood boards, roughs, and dummies. You will be split up into small groups to go over your ideas. Then, Prof. Trofimova will be working with you to develop ideas into imagery and text. Be ready to have your idea socks blown off, she is tremendously creative!
  • Type Journal: Find 5 logotypes in use on your commute to school. Upload them to your journal and tell me what you think of each, one or two sentences will be fine.