Today, we will start with our quiz, the first one of the semester. I tried ti trim it down to really ficus on what we actually covered in class.
- Review of some material: leading, history of typography
- Introduction to the main visual differences of type
- Analysis of visual characteristics of a font based on weight, width and posture and on letter stress, contrast and serifs
Type Book: Variations
Create a 6 page document. Each page must show a sampling of 3 characters comparing variations of type within each category discussed in class. Here is the Type Book: Variations handout, in case you lose yours. Here is the Class Template.
One character in a light face, one character on a regular face, one character on a bold face
Finish Classwork: Please READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. I am getting a lot of assignments that are just inexcusably messy or off base. You need to care more about what you produce.
Journal (due tomorrow):
- Find three instances of bad kerning, why do you consider these bad?
- Find three examples of varied leading (tight, comfortable and loose). Are these appropriate to the layout? Does the leading add any meaning to the message?