Networking Event Essay

Tristen Gonzalez

Prof. Trofimova

COMD 3503

Wed 6-8:30pm

Networking Event Essay

The Networking event I chose to go to was called Networking for Designers and Marketers. I chose this event because it looked unique from any other events Iā€™ve seen, also due to the fact that it was the only design related event I can find within a certain time frame. Ā The event was in Manhattan, in a lounge located in the 2nd floor of the time hotel. I went dressed fairly business casual, and with copies of my business card. The eventā€™s description mentioned to dress business casual but many of the attendees at the event that came later on dressed just causally for the most part which was strange to me. Ā The events was supposed to start at 6:00 pm, but the host was very late and did not start till about an hour later, and there was no speaker to introduce the host of the event or introduce the people that put this whole thing together. The surroundings were very casual with a hint of luxury from the lounge. It was mute and dark until they began to play music. The bar itself was still functional for customers who were not a part of the event.

I found myself very lost, there was no sense of direction or structure. I did manage to speak to a few people who were present at the event with me, among the few was an Articulate/landscape designer whom I immediately sparked a conversation with. She asked me a lot of questions about my education and background in design. While we conversed, she spoke about her own experience in school. She has been out of college for about seven years now, and is a part of a company Dominoc+Partners. I learned a little about the field she was in and found it interesting to see an architect at the networking event. Along with Michelle the Architect, I also had the privilege to speak Sam, a freelancer and graphic designer. She did several freelance positions before she started working for a small company made up of six people. She spoke about her experience with her former jobs, specifically how she left her former position. I also spoke to a woman named Laura Sima, a designer and co-founder of a new startup company revolving around handbags. She spoke to me and my partner about her interest in finding a package designer. She asked us many questions on the process of how to proceed with a package line. My partner and I were glad to explain to her the process along with the type of quality she wants to portray in her brand. Since that I plays a major factor in the materials you use for your package and also represents how high end of a brand you are based on the quality of your package. I also met a fellow student who as well was attending this networking event for her class just like me. She was an advertising/marketing major in her senior year at F.I.T. She had a nice positive personality and the others were also very welcoming as well. But, as soon as the host came into the conversation circle all he wanted to do was talk to the attractive girl from F.I.T. This kind of discouraged me quite a bit because I was often ignored by the host when I tried to include myself in the conversation.

After speaking with these designers, I spoke to some young men much like myself. One was a designer for Sports Illustrated, I found myself not only ignored but looked down upon for my status as a student and intern. It was an uncomfortable feeling, I attempted to speak with them in order to learn more about the industry but was given a cold shoulder. I felt it was disrespectful and I immediately wanted to just walk away from the situation, but I stayed professional and attempted to speak to the print designer, who went by the name of Toby. Toby was the co-founder of a private print shop by the name of Jackrabbit media. My experience did not go as planned, both designers neglected my presence and I was left with no other choice but to move on, as my partner also felt the negativity from a few of the experienced designers. I didn’t really understand why this happened, upon analyzing the situation I realize they were casually dressed, and very unprofessional for ā€œexperienceā€ designers. Looking back, I felt the venue was a poor decision based on how small and difficult the lounge was to navigate. With music playing so loudly, it was hard to talk and hear anything.

Overall I would say this was a sub-par experience, most of the people were mostly into getting free drinks, as well as the respect level of some people is unbelievable. In this field there is probably going to be a lot of people with a snobbish attitude or people who only care for the attractiveness of other people. In my personal opinion I would not go to another networking event that takes place in a lounge just like this one.