Halitosis is the term given to bad breath, a condition that affects people all over the world. You can fight this condition at home without having to go see a dental hygienist about it. Here are some of the many things you can do at home to fight your stinky breath.
- Use proper oral care products like mouthwash, toothpaste and floss. These have all been proven as remedies to the issue of bad breath as long as they are used regularly and properly.
- Brush your teeth (and floss!) at least two times every day. This is especially important if you’re wearing invisible braces. When selecting a toothbrush, pick one that has softer bristles. These will prevent damage to your teeth and to your gums, and will instead only take the plaque off. For toothpaste, you should look into one made using fluoride. Together with the right brushing techniques, all the food particles and plaque left in your mouth will be scrubbed away never to be seen again.
- A dry mouth is one of the main causes of bad breath, so the best remedy is to constantly produce saliva to wash away bacteria in your mouth. You can do this by stimulating the glands in your mouth to make more saliva. This can be done by chewing gum, sucking on mints and eating sugar-free candy that is slightly sour.
- Another way to get rid of the bacteria in your mouth is to try to eat fruits and vegetables containing fiber every day. That’s right, an apple a day actually keeps the doctor away!
- Taking a supplement with your diet in the form of vitamins C, B, D and E is a great way to prompt your body to get rid of the excess toxins in your blood and cells in natural ways to prevent bad breath.
- The last remedy might seem a little unorthodox, but it works. If you brush your teeth in baking soda every now and then, you take out all the acids that are produced by the bacteria in your mouth when they break down leftover food particles in there.
Other Easy Ways to Prevent Halitosis
Prevention is better than cure. This is the basic tenet taught in every health class ever. Preventing your body from ever getting bad breath is the best way to fight it. If you can train yourself to have certain good habits, you will never have to eat a breath mint again.
- Eating high fiber foods is the best way to keep the halitosis away. The more processed food you eat, the worse it will be for you. These problems can be found in cookies and other sweet foods.
- Mouthwash is also your best friend. There are some solutions out there that are made for people who have problems with bad breath. One thing you should avoid, though, is mouthwash that has an alcohol base. This makes your mouth get extremely dry which can bring the bad breath back with no trouble at all.
- Green and black teas are the most effective in getting rid of bacteria in the mouth and the sulfur that they produce as a by-product of their digestive process. This is due to a set of chemicals called polyphenols that can be found in tea.
The last and most important thing to remember is that smoking causes bad breath. If you are a smoker, the only way to stop the breath from paralyzing your victims is to quit smoking or at least reduce doing it. Good luck with your bad breath!