Local Grub: Shake Shack (Fulton St.)

Shake It Up at Shake Shack!

Shackstack + Cheese Fries= HEAVEN #shakeshack #yummy #foodgram #VSCOfood #VSCOcam

Image Source: LJDR

Are you tired of eating “factory-made” burgers and french fries from McDonalds? If so, then Shake Shack is the best place to satisfy your burgers and fries cravings. Shake Shack is located at Fulton Street, only a few minutes walk from City Tech. I’ve tried Shake Shack burgers before in a different location, but I still need to try other things from their menu. So, I decided to try the other menu items with my friends and even review each one of them. Overall, Shake Shack is a brilliant fast food burger joint, especially for its delicious burgers, fries, and great service. However, convenience may be a deal breaker for some.

Because this wasn’t the first time I’ve eaten at Shake Shack, I’m pretty much familiar with the menu. I’ve only tried their Shack Burger which is a cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, and ShackSauce (their own version of the Big Mac sauce.) So, I tried one of the best sellers in the menu, according to a friendly cashier, which is the Shack Stack ($9.49). It’s a Shack Burger with fried portobello mushrooms filled with muenster and cheddar cheese. Sounds like a mouthful right? Well it is. The burger looked humongous! Even bigger than other burgers out there, “Big Mac what?” Plus, the vegetables looked fresh because the tomatoes were bright red and the lettuce looked like it just came from a farmer’s market.

But, what about the taste? Did it taste better than it looked? Yes it did. The first bite I took was an explosion of flavors and a cheesy surprise. The patty was juicy and perfectly seasoned.  Also, what surprised me the most was the melty, delicious,  and flavorful cheese. If you’re a cheese lover, then this burger will fulfill your cheesy fantasies. However, some might say that their food is unhealthy. Although one can see why they might make this argument, the evidence does not back it up because all vegetables are fresh and you have to keep in mind that this burger is 770 calories (Full Menu Downtown Brooklyn); so, eat this burger in moderation.

Burgers aren’t enjoyable without perfectly fried and golden french fries. Shake Shack french fries are crinkle cut and offers two options: regular fries and cheese fries (Full Menu Downtown Brooklyn). I chose to try cheese fries because it paired very well with cheesy Shack Stack burger. The cheese fries looked like a hot mess on the tray, but don’t let that fool you because messy equals deliciousness. The cheese tasted like real cheese, unlike other burger joints that uses either nacho cheese or processed cheese like Kraft. The fries were still crispy even though its drowned in cheese. This is a must have and for the price of $3.95, I think its worth the price. But, some might say that Five Guys’ Fries has the best fries (Lee, “Five Guys’ Fries Make Me Weep with Happiness, Burger Is Not Bad”).  I disagree because Five Guys’ fries are way too greasy and salty, but Shake Shack fries are seasoned to perfection and never greasy.

But what about service? Since this is a casual fast food burger joint, its a self-service dining, which means that you pick up your food and throw it out yourself, just like McDonalds. Fortunately, when my friends and I finished our food, a friendly staff helped us throw away our trash and asked how the food was. This isn’t typical with other fast food establishments, such as McDonalds and Wendy’s because a lot of the staff are working on cashiers. So, these fast food operations don’t have a lot of customer interaction which makes Shake Shack superior. In addition, if you’re waiting for your food or feeling thirsty, this burger joint offers free filtered water for everyone.

Convenience is important to many students who wants to grab a bite during their lunch break or after school. But, I would recommend this place to everyone, but keep in mind that there are long lines at most times. So long lines may be a deal breaker for some. If you’re a student who wants to grab a bite during your 30 minute break, then I don’t think its a good idea to do. This is because of long lines during their peak hours, usually lunch time, around 12 noon. But, if you just finished your day and want to grab a bite, then it would be a better idea because you have more time to spare on waiting in line.  Fortunately, if you’re in a rush and want to have sweets and refreshments, Shake Shack has an express line only for drinks and desserts. When it comes to seating, you have two options,  either dine in or sit outside. This is great because whenever the place gets crowded, you can sit outside as well.

Out of five stars I would give this place a 4.5 because of its great food and service. But, what you need to look out for is the unpredictable length of lines.

WORKS CITED

Lee, Robyn. “Five Guys’ Fries Make Me Weep with Happiness, Burger Is Not Bad.” 5 Dec. 2008. Web. 17 Nov. 2015.

“Shake Shack.” Full Menu Downtown Brooklyn, NYC. 2004-2015 Web. 17 Nov. 2015.

This entry was posted in American, Burgers & Fries, Local Grub, Sit Down, Take Out. Bookmark the permalink.