1. Describe the techniques and solutions used to aid in the well-being of clients who were in distress.
The kind of techniques used on clients to help them with their distress was in trephining the skull which would supposedly allow evil spirits to escape because that’s what they thought people had who were sick. Also through religious practice they exorcized the spirits in them. They also chained, beat, and starved the people and etc.
2. Describe the evolution of human well-being services, from the middle ages to present day by individuals, professionals and society.
During the middle ages people received more help from institutions like orphanages and churches. And after a while the needy got more help from hospitals that became more of an aid toward them. And their there was the insane asylums which played a big part in putting people with disabilities in there.
3. Describe how Obama-Care’s mission is to aid the well-being of Americans.
Obama-care aids the well-being of Americans by giving them access to to affordable health insurance for those people who can’t afford high paid health insurance.
4. Describe how social philosophies were promoted to aid in the well-being of clients/society.
Three philosophies that promoted in the well-being of clients/society was individualism, Laissez-faire and Social Darwinism. Individualism helped clients learn from their failure and how to work hard for things they want. Laissez-faire was to help yourself the less governing the better. Lastly Social Darwinism which was basically everyone for themselves. The stronger and fit would survive but the weak wouldn’t.
5. Describe how the mental health movement promoted the well-being of clients/society.
After a man realized the cruelty upon mental institutions and such he sought out to change that. With the Mental Health Association this would improve mental hospitals, bring awareness and prevent diseases. By doing this they provided education on causes, diagnosis and etc.
6. Describe how the human service movement promoted the well-being of clients/society.
The human service movement promotes well-being of clients by trying to make clients speak for themselves and actually try and care for the clients directly. And to create a movement in the 1970’s called National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) which was to have leadership to help disadvantaged persons.
7. Describe how entitlement benefits (Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare) promote the well-being of individuals/society.
Medicare gives health insurance for those over 65 years old and also those who might have disabilities with kidney failure. Medicaid helps those who can’t afford to pay for medical care. Lastly Welfare is given as public aid to those who might need some assistance and help.
8. Describe how legislation promotes the well-being of individuals/society.
Legislation promotes well-being of individuals/society because different laws were passed. One such as The Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003 (MMA) which provided prescription drug benefits for those on medicare. Also the Center for Faith-Based and Community Initiatives (CFBCI) which better helped community organizations to give better service in human services.
1. Describe how the trends of technology, in the field of human services, are attempting to aid a client’s well-being.
The trends of technology attempt to aid in the client’s well-being because it’s used for communication, service delivery and professional development. Also used to provide service faster and better efficiently.
2. Describe how technology can promote well-being in professional development for human service workers and ultimately clients.
Technology promotes well-being in professional development by being able to learn about populations being served and how to better access the best practice. Using CDs and DVDs for research is easy to have access quickly to information. Also programs are available that teach various things like problem solving, rehabilitation counseling, decision making etc. Also having audio and video which better helps the professional access. And lastly online educational programs which provide access to higher education in human services and other areas.
3. Describe what managed care is, and how it promotes client well-being.
Manage care is used to integrate information from different places and than organize the information in order to be able to facilitate planning, decision making and reporting. This promotes well-being for the client because everything is ready and organized to better help the client efficiently.
4. Describe some of the limitations of managed care and how it can impact on well-being.
Some limitations on managed care can be the access you might not get on lower level of care. And also of how much you can help the clients enough and whether a viewer might say different so you have to listen to that.
5. Describe what service delivery means and how it promotes well-being.
Service delivery means how much the professional gives toward the client. How much good service they give toward the client can be in how much they care through mental health services or technology etc. This promotes the well-being of clients because they understand that they are getting all the help they can get.
6. Describe how human service professionals pay attention to various groups in order to promote well-being of specific populations.
human service professionals pay attention to various groups in order to promote well-being of specific populations by learning being knowledgeable about the cultures and communities of which they practice. They don’t discriminate they find the best way to help different groups. Doesn’t matter race, gender, religion, ethnicity etc they don’t pay attention to that.
7. Describe how what is happening internationally promotes or hinders the well-being of US citizens.
Internationally global population is beginning to increase. So with the population growing their is scarce resources such as health care, education, poverty etc. Another big thing is international migration. More are coming due to climate change, natural disasters, political upheaval etc. So it is becoming very hard in the field of human services.
8. Describe how the concept of “teaching a man to fish” promotes well-being.
The concept “teaching a man to fish” promotes well-being because you are giving a hand to that person. You are teaching them everything you know so he can learn how to fish well. Same thing with clients you teach them how they can better their lives. “Teaching a man to fish” promotes well-being because it also shows that you give your time to help that person.
9. Describe how cultural competency can promote well-being.
Cultural competency can promote well-being because you learn things that can better help the clients. You will have knowledge and know how to respond and understand better of the client’s needs. Helping different cultural groups can give you a different understanding.