The light within the dark

Photographs by: Gennessy Palma

Written by: Brianna Vasquez

For some, landscape settings and many forms of nature go so easily unnoticed on the daily basis. But to me, all of these beauties of nature strongly appeal to me. Mother Nature speaks to me…she has her own language that everyone can understand. She utilizes different sequences of naturalistic happenings to convey a conversation to whomever is willing to listen. I can hear her voice sometimes it comes in a variety of tones; some feminine and others with a deep masculinity infused into the dialect. Mostly, in the sound of voices that I readily recognize from my inner social circle and that I have such a high regard for. The volume of the voices can vary from the harrowing whisper in the rustling of the leaves as well as the loud screams in the bold sound of thunder. Not only do I hear it all, but I am thoroughly listening and observing every single word that is spoken.

Photographer: Gennessy Palma ” until we meet again dearest sun.”

Unfortunately, in life, we all have lost someone or something in this world. And I remember the day that I lost you…the day that the sweet melody of your heart beating slowly silenced. The very day in which your living breath was transcended and became nuanced into the air that I now breathe. I believe that life is an art piece and the many people that we encounter in this lifetime…those who truly impact our lives; they add color to our life’s canvas. Each person represents each varying color and its significance in that particular person’s life. When life draws to a close, we are simply left with this amazing painting that is specific to our life’s journey…what most find to be the memories that were created in that lifetime or what others define as the legacy that is now left behind.

Even on my darkest of days, you will always have a place on my life’s canvas…a radiant color beaming through from all the rest. And when I am alone, I hear your voice…your voice is in the world around me. The lyrical rhythm of the birds’ singing…the silence of the clouds naturally shifting into angelic shapes…the subtle sound of fluttering wings on butterflies as they fly nearby. You are the vibrant colors that majestically create a sunset; you are the heat of the sun that warms my bones with a tight embrace. You are the bright orange hue with hints of red and bluish-grey that dances around the clouds while igniting the sky with its beauty. With the perfect blend of colorful strokes that are painted all over the sky for all to view. You watched so many vividly colorful sunsets with me until the very sunset of your life. My love, you are my favorite color…my favorite color is sunset.