( Adapted from Tiffany’s Treats)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp bourbon vanilla (this is most of the natural vanilla’s at the grocery store)
1 tsp espresso powder
4 eggs ( or egg replacer…follow box directions for 4 eggs)
1 13.5 oz can coconut milk ( or 1 + 3/4 cup milk of choice)
1 15 oz can pumpkin
2 tsp bourbon vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 cup coconut sugar ( I get mine at the health food store)
2 packets stevia
disposable Foil cupcake pans ( enough to make at least 12 flan)
- Heat oven to 325°. Place all syrup ingredients (maple syrup, espresso powder, vanilla) in saucepan and bring to a boil. When mixture begins to boil, remove from heat. Keep an eye on the stove, so it boil over as it gets foamy quickly!
- Divide the syrup 12 equal parts among the cupcake pan(s). Set pan(s) aside. Meanwhile, blend all remaining flan ingredients in a blender for 2 minutes or until completely combined.
- Slowly, pour the flan batter into the cupcake cups over the syrup that was placed in the bottom. Fill to the top of the cups. Place the cupcake pan into a large roasting pan.
- Fill roasting pan with 2 inches of water, careful to not spill the water into the flan. You can also put the water in first if it is easier, just allow room for the water to rise when you stick your cupcake pans in the roasting pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 325°. When the flan is done, you should be ale to insert a toothpick and have it come out clean. Place flan in refrigerator to cool completely before eating.
- When flan is completely cool, cut the foil pans so that each flan is now separated from one another. Loosen the edges of the flan from the pan with a knife.
- Invert flan onto a plate, gently tapping the top of the foil pan to help it release. Don’t forget to let the syrup drizzle out on top!
Makes 12 servings.